Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
Timrek
Registered Member

Default Difference between K and F models

Hi there,

I am new to the form and new to motorcycles. I just bought my first bike today. I picked up a 1976 Honda CB 750. It is a non runner at this time but I am looking forward to getting it running and fixed up over the next few months.

My first of many questions to come, is. How do I tell if I have a K model or an F model? I want to get a good repair manual for it as I have the feeling it is going to come in handy and I want to get the right one. If you have any recommendations for what repair manual to get that would be great too.
Timrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default I think yours is a K

Motorcycle Specifications You may try this website. The specs you are looking for may be there
Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

K models had 4 into 4 exhausts. F models had a 4 into one. The F also had a rear disc brake while the K had a drum. The F had a plastic tail section behind the seat while the K did not.

There are some internal differences too. Valves, gear ratios, etc.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Timrek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
K models had 4 into 4 exhausts. F models had a 4 into one. The F also had a rear disc brake while the K had a drum. The F had a plastic tail section behind the seat while the K did not.

There are some internal differences too. Valves, gear ratios, etc.
Ok, well I have a 4 into one exhaust, and a plastic rear fender and a rear mechanical drum with dual front calipers.

Is there a site out there any place that I can put the serial number in and find out what I have?

The manufacture date is 1/1975 and it is a production year model of 1976.

I got the carbs pulled off, front calipers, gas tank and side covers as of now. Getting the carbs rebuilt should be a good winter project. I plan on painting the tank and side covers this winter too. Wish me luck!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timrek View Post
Ok, well I have a 4 into one exhaust, and a plastic rear fender and a rear mechanical drum with dual front calipers.

Is there a site out there any place that I can put the serial number in and find out what I have?

The manufacture date is 1/1975 and it is a production year model of 1976.

I got the carbs pulled off, front calipers, gas tank and side covers as of now. Getting the carbs rebuilt should be a good winter project. I plan on painting the tank and side covers this winter too. Wish me luck!
Yous is probably a K with a second front disc added. No 1976 Honda 750s had dual front discs. With the rear drum it is almost certainly a K with an aftermaket exhaust. Is the exhaust a huge chrome tapering muffler that's pretty quiet? This picture shows a stick 76 F exhaust and the plastic rear seat section.

pictures from motorcycles photos on webshots
Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Timrek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yous is probably a K with a second front disc added. No 1976 Honda 750s had dual front discs. With the rear drum it is almost certainly a K with an aftermaket exhaust. Is the exhaust a huge chrome tapering muffler that's pretty quiet? This picture shows a stick 76 F exhaust and the plastic rear seat section.

pictures from motorcycles photos on webshots
It is a not running right now. I just got it this last Friday (11/27/09) so I dont know what the exhaust sounds like. It does have a fairly big muffler that I think has been painted black along with most of the engine and transmission case. The engine serial # and the bike serial number are not matching making me think that the engine has been swapped out at some point. The guy I got it from has had it since the early 80's so the first owner probably did the engine change.

Anyway, you can see a pic of it here. LINK
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The correct technical designation for your motorcycle is "Parts-Bin Bike."
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"The engine serial # and the bike serial number are not matching making me think that the engine has been swapped out at some point."

How do you know they didn't swap out the frame?

"The guy I got it from has had it since the early 80's so the first owner probably did the engine change."

How could you possible know that? That bike may have had 12 before the early 80's
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

That's a single overhead cam engine so it's older than '75. ....What we politely call a Frankenstien, IE different parts from dead motorcycles......good luck my friend, you'll need it.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Not to rain on Timrek's parade here but is what he is doing a good idea? If you always loved and wanted a certian model and this was your chance who can blame anyone for following their passion. But if this is just a chance to get your hands on a bike cheap and get it running good for spring I woulda spent a little more money and less time. I'm not a risk taker when it comes to these things, I'll fix what I have to but dont accept it as a challenge .... more of a nusiance. Good luck to you and I hope your not in over your head, as I would already be, stay patient and you may be an expert by April.