Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
That's a single overhead cam engine so it's older than '75. ....What we politely call a Frankenstien, IE different parts from dead motorcycles......good luck my friend, you'll need it.
Improper use of facts/data. The SOHC engines continued through 1978.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Improper use of facts/data. The SOHC engines continued through 1978.

Smarty Pants.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Timrek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"The engine serial # and the bike serial number are not matching making me think that the engine has been swapped out at some point."

How do you know they didn't swap out the frame?

"The guy I got it from has had it since the early 80's so the first owner probably did the engine change."

How could you possible know that? That bike may have had 12 before the early 80's
Because the serial # on the tittle matches the one on the bike. I don't for sure that the bike has had more then 3 owners. I think the guy who I got it from said he got it from the original owner.

Quote:
sarnali2

That's a single overhead cam engine so it's older than '75. ....What we politely call a Frankenstien, IE different parts from dead motorcycles......good luck my friend, you'll need it.
Thanks. I have worked on a lot of cars over the years. I know that it does not fully transfer over to bikes but I have a few friends that can I can ask some questions. What I cant figure out / do myself I will take to a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Not to rain on Timrek's parade here but is what he is doing a good idea? If you always loved and wanted a certian model and this was your chance who can blame anyone for following their passion. But if this is just a chance to get your hands on a bike cheap and get it running good for spring I woulda spent a little more money and less time. I'm not a risk taker when it comes to these things, I'll fix what I have to but dont accept it as a challenge .... more of a nusiance. Good luck to you and I hope your not in over your head, as I would already be, stay patient and you may be an expert by April.
I know what you are saying. I have lots of time over the winter and I like doing a lot of this kind of work. It may take me some time and some frustration but the bike was cheep and to me worth it. I may be in over my head but I look forward to getting my hands dirty and learning and in the end looking back at all the work and knowing I did it. Frankenstein / parts bin bike or not it is my first bike and I am excited to get it running and having some fun.

Last edited by Timrek : 11-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Timrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timrek View Post
It is a not running right now. I just got it this last Friday (11/27/09) so I dont know what the exhaust sounds like. It does have a fairly big muffler that I think has been painted black along with most of the engine and transmission case. The engine serial # and the bike serial number are not matching making me think that the engine has been swapped out at some point. The guy I got it from has had it since the early 80's so the first owner probably did the engine change.

Anyway, you can see a pic of it here. LINK
That, my friend, is a frankenstein. The front and rear wheels are different. The front is a comstar wheel from a '76 or later bike. I don't know what the rear is. The tank is a 'K' tank. I'll bet the entire fork assembly is from a '77 or '78 which had dual discs. The side covers are 'K' also and those had different mounting than an 'F'. On the plus side junkyards should have more K parts laying around than F. Also on the plus side is the SOHC 750 engine which is arguably one of the best engines ever produced.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
Timrek
Registered Member

Quote:
That, my friend, is a frankenstein. The front and rear wheels are different. The front is a comstar wheel from a '76 or later bike. I don't know what the rear is. The tank is a 'K' tank. I'll bet the entire fork assembly is from a '77 or '78 which had dual discs. The side covers are 'K' also and those had different mounting than an 'F'. On the plus side junkyards should have more K parts laying around than F. Also on the plus side is the SOHC 750 engine which is arguably one of the best engines ever produced.
Yea I am starting to see that it is bits and pieces of different bikes. From what I can figure out looking at Honda CB750K - CycleChaos and Honda CB750F - CycleChaos. It looks like the front end may be from a 1979 or 1980 F bike? The dual front calipers, turn signals and the gauges look the same. The rest looks like a 1976 750 K model though. I will have to look at pics more.

I will have to think about getting the original front end for it. Maybe I can get something from a junk yard. Or just leave it. It is my first bike and I am not really a collector. Maybe at some point I can put it back to original.

Thanks for the help and all the info.

Update: It looks like the front wheels and brakes maybe from a '79 CBX? SpookyTom-CBX-79-1-1.html

It does look like the gauges and front fork assembly are from a '79 CB750 K.

It seems I have a little bit of a new obsession and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Timrek : 11-30-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #16
A Star Ride
Registered Member

good luck to you and I applaud your ambition.
My uncle had an early 80's era model (it had a rectangle cover over the fuel cap) but I think it was a 450 and it had hard bags and a windjammer faring, he ran 3 paper routes in SC and had the lids off the bags so he could "grab em & sling em" and would refill them at the intersection drop points, he did that for over 7 years had gotten the bike used, and for a 5 year period it was his & my aunts only vehicle, he had over 170,000 miles on it when he let it go. If that bike tolerated him and his abuse it had to been one of the best. He would stack milk crates on the luggage rack and bungee them down for grocery runs (family of 4).
Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
That, my friend, is a frankenstein.
This new guy needs to know the proper technical terms. This is a Parts Bin Bike. "Fraunk-un-steen" is slang, and should not be used except amongst knowledgeable experts.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
This new guy needs to know the proper technical terms. This is a Parts Bin Bike. "Fraunk-un-steen" is slang, and should not be used except amongst knowledgeable experts.
Hmmmm. And here I thought that the term "parts bin bike" referred to every new model Harley, Triumph Bonneville or Victory.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"It seems I have a little bit of a new obsession and I couldn't be happier."

Don't waste lots of money on it. You can buy those bikes all day long for about 500 bucks or less.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #20
Timrek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"It seems I have a little bit of a new obsession and I couldn't be happier."

Don't waste lots of money on it. You can buy those bikes all day long for about 500 bucks or less.
Yea I only spent 500 getting the bike. So I don't have a lot invested so far. For me it is nice I spend my time and a little more money to fix up the bike and I have my first bike. Right now I am unemployed so I have plenty of time to look for parts and fix what I can. rebuilding the carbs are my big challenge for the next month or so.

Good news, I found this web site CB 750 SOHC Engine Production Timeline and finally figured out I have a 1976 CB750 K6. Well that is according to the serial numbers on the bike. I thought the engine was swapped because the numbers did not match but it turns out that they didn't originally. It is probably the original engine.

Thank you to you all who helped and gave me a schooling on the "correct technical terms". I am sure I will be back and let you all know how it is going and ask questions.