Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
haynesju
Registered Member

Default Increasing Power Performance Question

Hello...I recently bought a used 1988 Honda CR80R dirt bike.

I just had a couple questions about what can be done to boost performance a little bit...namely:

1. Add FMF/pro circuit/etc. silencer and pipes?
2. Add K&N filter?
3. The pre-mix is 32:1...would premium gas help?

any other suggestions?

Thanks!
haynesju is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Don't. The pest perfomance mod for a dirt bike is the nut behind the bars.

I've been dirt riding for over 40 years. Believe me it's true.

You should ask this guy:

Don't Ask: Rick Sieman Answers Your Questions - - Dirtbike at Off-Road.com
Old 08-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

The best way to improve performance is to trade the 80 in on a 125.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
haynesju
Registered Member

I know that there is room for my own skill improvement (there always is)and that I can get more power from getting a bigger bike...I am looking to tinker when the cold michigan winter sets in.

I guess the short term question would be about the premium gas. I really dont know too much, but I am trying to learn. If I used premium fuel, would the engine need to be re-tuned, carb adjustment, etc.? Or am I making this too complicated?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynesju View Post
I know that there is room for my own skill improvement (there always is)and that I can get more power from getting a bigger bike...I am looking to tinker when the cold michigan winter sets in.

I guess the short term question would be about the premium gas. I really dont know too much, but I am trying to learn. If I used premium fuel, would the engine need to be re-tuned, carb adjustment, etc.? Or am I making this too complicated?
The difference between Premium and regular gas is the octane. Octane is a measurement of the fuel's detonation properties. Generally speaking, you can advance the timing of an engine and gain modest horsepower if you run higher octane gas. It won't "knock" like regular will. If you don't change the timing, the difference in octane is moot.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
haynesju
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
The difference between Premium and regular gas is the octane. Octane is a measurement of the fuel's detonation properties. Generally speaking, you can advance the timing of an engine and gain modest horsepower if you run higher octane gas. It won't "knock" like regular will. If you don't change the timing, the difference in octane is moot.
just to show how new to all this tinkering stuff I am...how do I change the timing? =)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynesju View Post
just to show how new to all this tinkering stuff I am...how do I change the timing? =)
That's just it - you can't. Timing is "fixed" for most bikes - the "advance" is all done in software (firmware) in the ignition control unit.

Now, you can buy what's called an "Ignition Advancer" (for some bikes), that will sort of offset or bias the ignition curve - but it's a Kludge at best, a terrible idea that can make the bike virtually unrideable at worst. The advancer replaces the stock reluctor wheel on the crankshaft - digging into the motor a bit is required.

You'll probably get more power out of porting, higher-compression piston(s), and cams (or reed changes in the case of two-smokes).

But if you go too far - you again risk making the bike unrideable at best, an expensive crotch-grenade at worst.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Actually, on a 1988 CR80, you CAN advance the timing plate, but I do not recommend it. You do not have the tools or experience to put it back to stock, which is what you will end up doing.

MX bikes run best on premium pump gas, unless the compression has been pumped up. There were a few older bikes that ran better on race gas, but, generally, it's not worh the expense.

Remember, you're dealing with a 21 year old dirt bike here. The best mod is to make sure the stock piston and cylinder bore is fresh and in good shape. Possibly replace the reeds, and crank seals. These contain the air/fuel charge to your engine while running. Small leaks will cost you performance that you don't realize you already have!

Watch the crankshaft, too. Tiddlers are hard on them.

You can try an aftermarket pipe and other stuff, but I KNOW you will be better off just making sure the stock stuff is in good running order.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
haynesju
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it!

I bought the bike from a neighbor that rebuilds bikes for a hobby. Sand-blasting, paint guns, lathes, etc. All the stock stuff is excellent. Reeds and air filter recently replaced...New Piston and rebuilt carb. Run VERY well and it is a ton of fun. The only thing that I was seriously thinking about swapping and that the neighbor didnt spend much time on was the exhaust. The pipe is a bit dented and the silencer isnt as good as it could be. I will keep an eye out for a good exhaust kit, but I am happy as is. I was just curious as to what those more experience than myself thought of aftermarket mods on a bike like mine. I would like to tinker a bit, but I also didn't want to ruin a good thing, ya know?

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

One last bit of info.

"Premium" fuel has an additive package that is designed to prevent detonation, especially in higher compression engines, or engines with aggressive timing.

The problem with running Premium in any other engine is that the additive package displaces the fuel. So, practically speaking, you get less gas per gallon.

So your best bet is to run either a good quality 'Regular', or failing that, run 'Plus', to make sure you have a solid minimum Octane rating and not the bottom of a tank.

And it's an 80! Don't mess with it! If it runs good, leave it alone. You need more grunt, get a bigger bike.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote