Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
kidstar64
Registered Member

Default 82 V45 Sabre help

Hello,

I am having some trouble with my 82 V45 Sabre. I have attached a picture to make it easier to see what i am talking about. I am trying to remove the said piece (part 4) which is behind the clutch slave. I've gotten to the point where the piece in question(part 4) is loose but it will not come off. How do I get it off.

PS: ive gotten the shaft off howeveri did not remove the sproket (part 9) from the part in question(part 4). Also i have the water pump off and the swing arm removed but the rear shock is still attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0C17.Gif.jpg (113.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by kidstar64 : 08-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.
kidstar64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

The picture function has been screwed up for years now. Put the picture on photobucket.com and link to it.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
kidstar64
Registered Member

Old 08-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

If you are referring to the output shaft gear assembly part #4 you are in luck. Remove the smaller bolts from the assembly. Then loosen the three large bolts about 3/8 of a turn. Then tap the three bolt heads with a plastic mallet. The assembly has a press fit to a gear housing underneath. It isn't a super tight fit so you can tap it off without a lot of trouble.

I used to own an 84 Magna and had had that assembly off a few times, being that the motorcycle in general is a dog.

This is your lucky day. I have a manual and a spare output assembly and a pile of other bits from my old Magna project. The drive parts are the same for the two years. You can check the part numbers on bikebandit if you like. If you are interested in all my leftover bits shoot me a private message.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
kidstar64
Registered Member

Ok i have allready gotten the part loose so thgat it is free from the bike but it is stuck. It is like the outpput shaft that comes out of the engine is stuck. Is their somthing else holding it?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

The crossdrive output unit cannot be dismantled or repaired by a shade tree mechanic. It is doubtful that a dealer would have the necessary special tools since according to the manual it takes about 15 special tools to service the unit. It if is screwed up you are better off trying to find a good one at a junkyard. A new one, if still available, is about $1000.

Welcome to the world of old Japanese motorcycles. The good news is that those early Magnas generally blew up because of crappy valve gear and lousy transmissions long before the crossdrive unit wore out.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
kidstar64
Registered Member

the crossdrive is not the problem. I simply need to get the part #4 off the bike to replace a seal for the cluch slave rod.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
kidstar64
Registered Member

Update:

Me and my father managed to replace the seal within taking the shaft out. We cut the old one out and using a hocked screwdrive managed to get it in behind the gap where the cross shaft meets the bike. The person we bought it from used hydrolic oil where brake fluid should have been used and i think it swelled all of the seals. The fork seals are also leaking and there was hydralic oil in the forks too. Other than that the bike works great!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Ummm. On the picture you posted part #4 is the crossdrive housing. Forgive me for assuming you actually meant the crossdrive.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-15-2009 at 10:17 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
kidstar64
Registered Member

No problem. Just glad that i can ride again :P