Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
Cychotic
Registered Member

Default '83 Honda V65 Magna horn problems

Hey everybody, I got an '83 Magna with malfunctioning horns. They don't sound at all. I took them off the bike and tested by hooking directly to a 12V battery and was able to get one to toot after much cleaning of corroded contacts, and fiddling with the adjusting screw and the big mounting stud on the back of the horn. Put it back on the bike, still no soundage. There is power coming off the wires that connect to the horn, however my multimeter only registers 4.5 volts when I hit the horn button. I should be getting a full 12V at the wires, right? Or will I only get sound if both horns are good? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Cychotic : 06-14-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Cych...you would expect at least 12vdc at the leads for the horns, 4.5vdc suggests a lot of resistance in the circuit. As for both horns working, they could be wired in series; requiring both to work, but more likely they're wired parallel, and can act independently. I suggest you carefully open the switch housing that holds your horn button and clean the contacts there. A can of spray contact cleaner will help. Be careful, the bolts holding the housing together are probably frozen and they're typically really soft metal; easy to strip the heads.

BTW: there's some very effective aftermarket horns for under $50 that are a LOT louder than stock. Stiebel is a popular choice. But, the Stiebel won't work on 4.5vdc either.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Horns are wired in parallel. You need 12VDC at the leads. Do as Ken suggests. There is no shortage of aftermarket horns at reasonable cost.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Cychotic
Registered Member

Default '83 V65 Magna horns not working

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do what you suggested. After market horns maybe the way to go, although I can get the oem horns from BikeBandit.com for about $53 apiece. When I checked BikeBandit.com I noticed that each horn has a different tone: one is high, and one is low. I don't know which is which since I removed them from the bike. Guess it's not a big deal as long as they work, but if I'm going to replace just the bad one with the oem unit from BikeBandit it would be nice to know which tone horn I should order. I don't see any high or low markings on the horn, but are there any other markings on the horns that will tell me whether it's a high or low?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Cychotic
Registered Member

Thumbs up

So I figured it out today. Opened up my wiring box behind the fuse panel, noticed that the horn wires were routed through a really tight spot that was pinching them. I moved the pinch spot, checked the voltage (+ lead of the multimeter to+ horn wire, - lead to ground) and I got 11.69 volts. Connected horn, still no worky. Pulled electrical tape on horn wires to check for shorts, didn't see any. Started up bike and tested while running, had 13 volts at idle, still no soundage. Hmmm. After much fiddling and head scratching, (even took apart the left handlebar pod to clean/check the horn button connections), I realized there must be a bad ground on the negative wire because whenever I tested voltage by moving the neg lead of the multimeter to the neg horn wire, the voltage dropped to 3.5. Move the neg lead back to a good ground and it shot back up to 12 volts or better. Connected the good horn leaving enough of the neg connector exposed so I could alligator clip a jumper wire to a ground on the frame. Hit the horn button and I heard it clicking like it was trying to sound, but still no tootage. Loosened the big mounting stud on the back of the horn, and finally it was beeping.

So to recap, I had 2 issues that were keeping my horns from working: 1) one was bad and the other needed adjusting 2) I had a bad ground to the negative horn wire.

I probably still need to track down the bad ground (got dark before I could finish the job), but I think a temporary fix would be just to run a ground wire from where the neg. horn wire attaches to the horn.

So now that everything's working on the Mag, it's time to take my riding test and get my license.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by Cychotic : 06-19-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well that's the spirit! excellent job of trouble shooting. Electrical issues are a total PIA, a lot of people just throw their hands up and quit. Aerostitch has a series of horns, one is called a Freeway Blaster which I have on my bike, the other is called an Ear Cannon which is air assist, both are cheap as chips and easy to install. I'd look into them if I were you.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
Cychotic
Registered Member

I like the names of those horns ! Gonna have to check that out, it's nice to know that you can at least be heard when you're on your motorcycle, as you're not always seen. I guess Aerostitch is the name of the horn manufacturer? Time for a google search.

Last edited by Cychotic : 06-21-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cychotic View Post
I like the names of those horns ! Gonna have to check that out, it's nice to know that you can at least be heard when you're on your motorcycle, as you're not always seen. I guess Aerostitch is the name of the horn manufacturer? Time for a google search.
Aerostitch makes goretex riding gear primarily put they sell a whole range of high quality riding accessories like touring bags and camping gear. The horns are made by Stieb i believe but at any rate they cheap and loud LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote