Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
mogrin
Registered Member

Default 78 750 supersport Oil filter cover bolt??

Can any one tell me the best way to remove the original bolt from the oil filter cover? Also looking to find out where to buy the after-market 17mm replacement bolt? Looking forward to any suggestions. Thanks
mogrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

The bolt is removed with a 14mm socket or wrench. Remember.... 6 point sockets and wrenches are your friends.

That bolt was used on all the CB750s and CB900s.....thousands and thousands of those bikes were sold over a 10 year period. Those bolts should be widely available. A dealer or an internet parts source or even a local accessory shop may have one.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I machined one myself from knotty pine. Works just swell, and looks maverlous against the mohagny cases!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
mugwump58
Registered Member

Cabbages and Kings, that's the name of a literay rag some where. So this knotty pine thing it's "swell"? So it prevents leaks then right? I kill me. Alright I'll stop.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
mogrin
Registered Member

OK due to the heat & vibration this bolt seems to be welded into the case. The actual size of the one in my bike was 12 mm & the 6 sided socket rounded it off nicely. Time to break out the Vice Grips Ill keep all posted. If I do get this thing out I might be sending it off to get a 3/4 nut welded on to the head & I know I will never have this problem again.
mogrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It was probably overtightened the last time it was installed. It shouldn't be that tough to get out if it was installed properly. Make sure you don't make the same mistake when you get your new one in.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
It was probably overtightened the last time it was installed. It shouldn't be that tough to get out if it was installed properly. Make sure you don't make the same mistake when you get your new one in.
I don't know why idiots think they have to overtighten things like that. The bolt and housing have o-rings so 10-15ft-lbs is enough. I've bought a Honda that had the thing tightened like it was a valve tappet. Or how about the idiots that give the spin-on filters 2 turns? I could write a book about shade tree mechanics and their reliance on cheaters.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Tis a common problem from novice mechanics. They think tighter = better until they twist the head off a bolt, strip out a threaded aluminum casting, or can't get the damned thing off after they put it on. They live.......and some learn.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Same goes for pin-head tire jockies and chatter guns..