Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda/)
-   -   1985 V65 Sabre died (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda/11834-1985-v65-sabre-died.html)

sarnali2 05-09-2009 03:28 PM

I did mean the stator as in alternator. Honda had a real problem with the connectors between the alternator and reg/rec overheating and melting and stators shorting and melting on the 84 and up V65 Sabres, V65 Magna's and 1200 Goldwing, and the 750 VFR all the way into the 90's in fact.

The Sabre is still a way cool bike, I rode the wheels off mine and really enjoyed it. What I did is wired a 30 amp circuit breaker into the connectors from the stator to the reg/rec so it would trip on overcharging then reset itself. I don't know if it actually worked or not but I didn't have anymore trouble after that till I sold it and bought a ZX1000R Ninja.

dinkster07 05-09-2009 08:31 PM

OK...I figured it out. Two positive wires running from the starter relay to the ignition switch and fuse box were not making contact with the terminal on the starter relay (they both shared the same terminal on the starter relay); the one I previously mentioned was badly melted. Even though they looked attached they weren't making contact through the connector. I just cut all the wires off of the connector and spliced wires having similar wire lugs on them. Now I have to replace a broken fairing mirror (didn't mention that) that a semi clipped after I had to park the bike in the very narrow shoulder of the road when it died on me. Does anyone know where I can find one? Like I said, it is not a standard mirror, but one mounted on the fairing and it has a bellow style sleeve between the fairing and the mirror itself. It's hard finding stuff like that for an old bike.

The_AirHawk 05-09-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinkster07 (Post 212944)
OK...I figured it out. Two positive wires running from the starter relay to the ignition switch and fuse box were not making contact with the terminal on the starter relay (they both shared the same terminal on the starter relay); the one I previously mentioned was badly melted. Even though they looked attached they weren't making contact through the connector. I just cut all the wires off of the connector and spliced wires having similar wire lugs on them. Now I have to replace a broken fairing mirror (didn't mention that) that a semi clipped after I had to park the bike in the very narrow shoulder of the road when it died on me. Does anyone know where I can find one? Like I said, it is not a standard mirror, but one mounted on the fairing and it has a bellow style sleeve between the fairing and the mirror itself. It's hard finding stuff like that for an old bike.

Have you looked at J.C. Whitney for the mirror? I believe they still carry several "generic type" mirrors that fit both bars and fairings, might even find some that look better than the stockers, and probably cheaper than OEM from a Dealer.