Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
soffiler
Registered Member

Default CB175 Exhaust?

My wife and I just picked up a 1972 CB175 K6, which will be her learner bike. It's in pretty solid original condition, about 4600 miles, and runs well. We are struggling with just one issue right now: exhaust. The previous owner cut off the rusted stock mufflers and added JC Whitney slip-ons. They are ridiculously loud, and we both prefer a much quieter bike. The best solution would be OEM, and I think we're mentally prepared for the financial shock of that, but a pretty thorough search of many Internet vintage parts sites, Honda dealers specializing in vintage parts, and of course Ebay, has come up completely dry.

Questions:
Does anyone by any wild chance happen to know the whereabouts of a set of stock pipes? How about a complete donor bike?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for salvage yards?

Aftermarket? I see a variety of slip-on universal-fit mufflers in places like JC Whitney, Dennis Kirk, etc. I have also seen "mini-mufflers" in JC Whitney that fit inside 1-1/2" header pipes. Any experience here? We know the JC Whitney pipes are loud and we're hopeful those mini-mufflers might do the trick.

Are there any less obvious avenues I should be exploring? Has anyone discovered a set of pipes intended for some other machine that just happen to work in the CB175 application?

Best regards,
Steve & Karen
soffiler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Have you tried some motorcycle junkyards. You should be able to find a muffler that would work.

As far as after market mufflers go youds be hard pressed to find one that's not loud. That's why people buy them in the first place. However there is a trick that I've used before. Remove the muffler. Drop some of those copper cleaning pads you can get in the supermaket called "Chore Girl". They will muffle the sound nicely. Eventually they compress and you have to drop a some more in.

Sometimes those mufflers have a removable baffle that you can wrap with sound deadening fiberglass wrap that I believe JC Whitney has. You wrap several layers and tie it with a soft mechanics wire available at Home Depot, etc.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
soffiler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Have you tried some motorcycle junkyards. You should be able to find a muffler that would work.

As far as after market mufflers go youds be hard pressed to find one that's not loud. That's why people buy them in the first place. However there is a trick that I've used before. Remove the muffler. Drop some of those copper cleaning pads you can get in the supermaket called "Chore Girl". They will muffle the sound nicely. Eventually they compress and you have to drop a some more in.

Sometimes those mufflers have a removable baffle that you can wrap with sound deadening fiberglass wrap that I believe JC Whitney has. You wrap several layers and tie it with a soft mechanics wire available at Home Depot, etc.

Thanks for the inputs, seruzawa. Have not yet tried salvage yards. I am certainly willing, as soon as I give up all hope on new-old-stock or a brand-new repro or functional equivalent of some sort. I fully expect salvage-yard stock to be on it's last legs and in dire need of re-chrome just to eek those last few miles out of it. I'll definitely do it if I have to. On that note I haven't even started looking for salvage yards yet. Know any good ones that ship in the USA? Or any good ones I could visit in the southern New England area?

I like your Chore Girl idea quite a bit! As for fiberglass, those JC Whitney pipes on the bike right now already have fiberglass. They have a central perforated tube that's wrapped, but it's 2" in diameter and acts essentially like a straight pipe.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by soffiler View Post
Thanks for the inputs, seruzawa. Have not yet tried salvage yards. I am certainly willing, as soon as I give up all hope on new-old-stock or a brand-new repro or functional equivalent of some sort. I fully expect salvage-yard stock to be on it's last legs and in dire need of re-chrome just to eek those last few miles out of it. I'll definitely do it if I have to. On that note I haven't even started looking for salvage yards yet. Know any good ones that ship in the USA? Or any good ones I could visit in the southern New England area?

I like your Chore Girl idea quite a bit! As for fiberglass, those JC Whitney pipes on the bike right now already have fiberglass. They have a central perforated tube that's wrapped, but it's 2" in diameter and acts essentially like a straight pipe.
Been a couple years since I need parts from a junkyard. Google is your friend. Some junkyards pull the exhaust pipes and other chrome bits and keep them in doors. Doesn't hurt to try. If worst comes to worst a rusty pipe can be cleaned and rechromed or you can rough it up and paint it with heat treated paint.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

You might try the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club VJMC.org, IIRC. I think they want youi to join before tyou can read their ads, though.

I went to David Silver Spares - HOME , who had a repro muffler for my CB400F, but the 175 wasn't sold in Europe. They do offer a complete system for the Euro-only CB250T which should have close to the same engine.

Maybe even try the swap meet at Vintage Days.

I've had some luck asking here, but they really specialize in dirt parts: VintageMX.US - Preserving Motocross History - Motorcycle Swapmeet

Also, Dennis Kirk and JC Whitney used to sell universal fit mufflers in various sizes. The longer ones were quite quiet. I have one on my SR500 and it has lasted for years.

Good luck!

Last edited by pplassm : 03-11-2009 at 11:30 AM.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
soffiler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
You might try the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club VJMC.org, IIRC. I think they want youi to join before tyou can read their ads, though.

I went to David Silver Spares - HOME , who had a repro muffler for my CB400F, but the 175 wasn't sold in Europe. They do offer a complete system for the Euro-only CB250T which should have close to the same engine.

Maybe even try the swap meet at Vintage Days.

I've had some luck asking here, but they really specialize in dirt parts: VintageMX.US - Preserving Motocross History - Motorcycle Swapmeet

Also, Dennis Kirk and JC Whitney used to sell universal fit mufflers in various sizes. The longer ones were quite quiet. I have one on my SR500 and it has lasted for years.

Good luck!
Thanks for all the ideas, pplassm. I just ran across VJMC and will seriously consider joining; why not? I've got a vintage Japanese motorcycle...

The Euro CB250T is a very interesting possibility. Gotta look at that one more carefully.

The JC Whitney pipes that came on it were shorty, and very loud; my issue with the longer ones is clearance at the rear axle. The stock pipes have a definite cutout feature to provide clearance.

Thanks again for the ideas, folks!