Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-23-2001, 09:53 AM   #51
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run

Oh come on... The magazine just spit out the Mfg's Marketing BS! This dyno run proves the BS factor from the Mfg's.

Philip

'00 ZR-7 making 70 honest BHP...
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2001, 10:56 AM   #52
jsmoov
Founding Member

To get maximum horsepower out of an engine the bike has to be properly broken in. Although I have heard of some bikes being broken in on a dyno. I would not rely on this report has of yet.
jsmoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 01:43 PM   #53
VFR800-1
Founding Member

AMEN...an open mind in the group...seems no one hear wants to hear the difference in the sound in the new engine...or seat of the pants feel when the 7000rpm hit is supposed to hit...most all squids out there will start changing before it's broken in properly...I'll take the new extra room for my wife on the back seat after the pipes have been moved...Kinda glad a redneck in a 1/2 ton truck totaled my 99 vfr...i'll get a chance to sample this new vfr and give you an objective vision...mine is due to arive 14 Jan...
VFR800-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 03:36 PM   #54
Twisted
Founding Member

So you're content you opted for the VTR instead the VFR, Huh? Tough decision...sort of like trying to decide between a Peterbuilt and a Porsche 911. You must have to haul a lot of weight down the superslab!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 07:10 PM   #55
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

That's why they call them big red, I guess.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 08:09 PM   #56
Arch
Founding Member

So, the wins have nothing to do with the valve-train. OK. Geez, talk about an argument not worth pursuing. It's just one data point in the thing's mechanical make-up and there's no way to say which could be left out or changed and have the results still be achieved. You could put all of Ducati into a few Honda-sized rooms, so what they've managed is kinda cool given the difference in size and might. But hey I'm a race fan, not just a Ducati enthusiast. It would have been OK by me if Colin had kept the plate, long as the racing was close and fun to watch.

As for ultimate performance numbers bro, I stopped following that merry-go-round long ago. If that's all that mattered, we'd all be riding turbocharged Hayabusas and every hugely powerful motorcycle I came across would be able to leave me on a twisty bit. We're not and they usually can't.

In the end, I just know what feels good under me on the road and truth be told, I like all sorts of different scoots for all sorts of different reasons. So when you say "we're" suckered in by Desmo this or that, it's kind of insulting. It's not a matter of being suckered, it's a matter of enjoying the way Ducatis go about the business of being a motorcycle. Just like others enjoy the way their Honda twins or whatever do the same. We all prefer certain things over others for reasons too varied to fathom.

No need to believe that all Ducati enthusiasts are trend seekers and merit being painted with the same brush 'cause it's not as if we ALL just discovered the marque while shopping at Needless Markup. Hey it's a big world out there and it takes all sorts to keep it spinning. Admittedly, some of the new boutique-ish things they're doing gives me the willies, but I suppose its simple commerce. Do I want a Bostrom Replica? Hell no. It's hideous. An MHe? Nope. A Multistrada? ACCK! What the hell is Terblanche smoking?! Nah, I'd like to have a late model SPS or a more current R. In the meantime, a beloved old SS and an 888SP4 are enough to satisfy my Ducati jones. And FWIW, the garage also holds two Hondas, a BMW and a CCM. Also FWIW, if I had the spare change (and the extra shop space), I'd have a 954RR, a GSXR1000, A Mille R, an R1150GS, a V-Rod, a Husky NOX, an assortment of scooters, etc, etc.

It's all good to whoever chooses to own and ride it. Including this new VFR...

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 09:01 PM   #57
IceWorm
Registered Member

I had a VTR a while back, nice enough bike if you don't mind hanging around filling stations. I bought my '01' Viffer about a year ago and at this point don't really see that the '02' is that much of an improvement.

IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 10:01 PM   #58
MR_B
Founding Member

DS , is that u?
MR_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 02:11 AM   #59
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default What a shame....

that Honda made the anniversary model looked like a binned red bike fixed with a silver front cowl from the boneyard. An RC-45 replica paint job would have been the dog's dangles.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 02:17 AM   #60
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: What would you consider a deal on a 98 with...

People probably knock a grand off their offer price when they get a look of those butt-ugly Corbin beetle bags. You might want to consider selling the bike without them.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote