Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-21-2001, 06:57 PM   #21
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run

Honda bothered to do all these fancy changes because they're Honda, and complexity for complexity's sake has always been an official corporate undercurrent. A semi-effective (on paper) VTEC system is just another facet of the company that's bringing us linked brakes (giving Guzzi their due there, though), a V-5 race engine, and God knows how many other head-scratcher ideas.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2001, 08:42 PM   #22
DSSConsult
Founding Member

According to several other magazines, the new Interceptor actually improves significantly at under 7,000 rpm's torque measures (due to the restriction in the number of actuating valves as opposed to the older model which runs on all four throughout the entire range), while for some reason, they all agree the power snapping effect starting at precisely 7,000 rpm (V-TEC trigger point) is not noticeable in stationay testing (whether running it in neutral at over 7,000 rpms or at the dyno).

It could be that some ram air induction pressure is missing in measuring power distribution as compared to riding the bike on the road. I was sold on the bike once I saw the interesting video at MCN. The sound and power snapping become apparent and really exciting. I am definitely going for a test run on this one (shame it still does not come with a larger displacement engine!)
DSSConsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 02:44 AM   #23
Sparky
Founding Member

Agreed. Gear driven cams were a definite plus in the VFR. They offer much more precise valve timing than a chain.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 03:44 AM   #24
plastics
Registered Member

Earlier on, I scan some Dyna chart somewhere from the Honda factory which shows a huge area under the curve for the 02 VFR, which suggest that the VTEC technology really works. Shocking is my reaction from seeing Mimimi dyno run..it's hardly any difference compare to the 01 VFR! I can't wait until a demo ride on the 02 VFR to see for myself whether this VTEC is worth all it is crack up to be. I like the new underseat pipes, the more aggressive springs, new look etc, but the engine has to have more grunt for me to trade in my 95 VFR.

Plastics
plastics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 04:54 AM   #25
yellowduc
Founding Member

Hello, the bike is ugly. I think Honda in general has lost it's charm and appeal. Their technical objectives are not driven by rider's inputs. This bike's technical features are questionable throughout. Looks like a science project.

YellowDuc

yellowduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 05:25 AM   #26
Vlad
Registered Member

A second amen. I have a 98 VFR. My only complaint is that it's a little porky and my right foot gets a bit warm at times. So they made the new one heavier. It's also ugly and they replaced the bevel drive with a chain. If Honda really wants to improve the VFR, go back to the 1998-2001 model and put it on a diet and add 43mm inverted forks and factory hard bags. Meanwhile, I will stick to the best all-around bike ever made, 'specially since it's already in my garage.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 06:31 AM   #27
two_wheels
Founding Member

well, looking at the dyno chart, i to am dissapointed.....wasent this thing suppose to have up to an extra 10 foot ponds below 7 grand...also, this thing has been regeared, perhaps to coverup the blunder that the vtec does very little...
two_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 08:29 AM   #28
Charlie
Founding Member

The new VFR is not improved enough to justify upgrading an existing VFR. I agree with most of these guys, Honda should have spent their VFR R&D budget on more displacement and an adjustable suspension. I also wonder how thrashed and or poorly broken in was the 2002 that was used in this dyno test?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 10:06 AM   #29
drandall
Founding Member

This is hilarious; I can't stand technology for technology's sake. Looks like I can get a deal on a '98+ vfr800, spend a grand on the suspension, and still be thousands ahead!
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 12:04 PM   #30
starvingstudent
Founding Member

It's not what I'd own, but the new Veefer is darned attractive. Love the nose section, and it's about time Honda realized that a single-sided rear swingarm needs to be shown off. If you got it, flaunt it, right?

Honda must own stock in a company that only produces red paint though. I know it's company colors and all, but PUHLEEZE give us something different. Can you imagine a 2-tone black-and-silver VFR?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote