Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-21-2001, 01:06 PM   #11
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run

I'm not impressed. They should've put the extra engineering effort towards the suspension instead. I could get better-looking dyno charts than that out of my '96 VFR750, for less total cost than buying a new VFR. Not that I really need any more power...but better suspension and brakes would help immensely.

Oh well, I will continue on my search for parts to make my VFR better than Honda thought it needed to be. And no hard bags!!
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2001, 01:32 PM   #12
stormcloud
Founding Member

Like everyone else, I cant see the advantage in VTEC by looking at these dyno graphs. Reading reports from journo's who have ridden it, they seem to find it has lots more grunt down low than the old model though.

I guess time will tell.

What is the point of extra complexity, cost, etc when the same benefits could be achieved cheaper by bumping up capacity??

I cant see extra reciprocating weight (of internals)being a problem on a sports tourer - usually they are heavier than they need to be to give better engine characteristics (low down smoothness, holding a given speed etc). Fuel economy isnt an issue - weigh any savings against the extra materials, development costs, purchase price etc.....

The cynic in me sees MARKETING and PARTS behind the "improvements".

If they didnt make it different and convince us that it is better somehow, they'd not sell so many bikes.

Knowing how automotive industry works, I know it costs a fortune to keep designing, testing etc new things, making and stocking parts for engines etc that are no longer in production - this cost MUST be paid for by the consumer.

Maybe this is why (in Australia at least) marques like BMW who have longer model runs for their bikes + engines etc are becoming much more price competitive with Japanese marques.

Are we really such suckers for the corporate line?? It seems so.

What do others think????

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:59 PM   #13
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

They look like a Ford Focus. Ugly. Too bad, I'm glad I got the viffer I did, more torque (so much for VTEC), and more hp (no catalytic converter on the 99 model, and aftermarket intake/exhaust components, PLUS it weighs less). I wonder if it's still considered a real VFR with out the gear driven cams. I was sad to see those go. Wierd exhaust too, better to get a wolf underseat if you want a nice underseat exhaust.

My verdict: A step backwards in VFR development, with the exception of the brakes (better LBS), the bags, and the front fork suspension. Everything else was a big disappointment for me.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:01 PM   #14
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Amen brother

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:24 PM   #15
poopypants
Founding Member

So, an overly complex valve system that really doesn't improve on existing engine technology in the form of horsepower OR torque?......sounds like Ducati's Desmo to me. Though I don't think Honda will be able to sucker in as many followers as Ducati did......
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:26 PM   #16
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Actually (as far as cars go) I like the Focus ZX-3 hatchback - I don't care for the rear end of the Focus sedan or station wagon, but the ZX-3 to me is a good looking little car. I was disappointed that Ford screwed up the Focus-R by putting it out with such a low-boost turbocharger... oh well, I'm sure somebody'll offer a 12 Lb. wastegate for it.

Guess that just goes to show that taste is subjective.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:01 PM   #17
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

What gear did you run this test in? How does the total gearing ratio for this test compare to the total gearing ratio for your 2000 test run?

Also, the effect of VTEC (Good observation by a previous poster that this is NOT car-VTEC..this is a pseudo VTEC), in this case, could be to give an improvement in fuel efficiency....

Other than that, I'd say run it again another day if you get a chance...
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 03:55 PM   #18
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

I wonder if the VTEC will make more of a difference once the pipes are swapped out and the engine is given more breathing room? New models are more plugged up with environmental stuff every year, I wonder if that could be handicapping it.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 05:32 PM   #19
leonardskinner
Founding Member

I for one think that it is a visual improvement on the the last generation VFR. There really hasn't been a good looking one since the 750. The VTEC promises to be an expensive joke down the road when it comes time to repair it. Definately not worth the complexity. If they ever get around to updating my VTR I certainly hope this is not the direction they are headed.
leonardskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:06 PM   #20
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default I believe the 02 even has a catalytic converter...

doesn't it?

I would miss the music of the gear-driven cams too. Sweet!

I think it looks... umm... intersting. In the pictures anyway, I like it. I like the idea of optional hard bags too but I'm just not sure if it's all good enough.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote