Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-31-2001, 12:19 AM   #151
paulfromdownunder
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run

I'm in Australia and have test ridden the 2002 VFR, and after having owned a 99 Vfr, the first impressions you get are

1) The bike is much quieter (mechanically) than the previous model. The gear whine is gone, and travelling at about 80KPH all you can hear is the tyres on the road.

2) The throttle response is sharper, almost dangerously so, you can pop a mono without thinking about it in 1st gear.

Of course, the bike was not run in so I could not experience the operation of the "V tec" at 7000RPM.

but the roll on performence seems better, and smoother.

The motor seems to stay cooler, as well, but I cant say for sure.

The quality of the instrument panel is better, using LEDs for turn indicators etc.(better visibility in the sunlight)but the digital speedo takes some getting used to.

What confuses me a little is the target market for this bike. Honda have made it feel sportier, at the same time as making it more of a tourer, with hardbags etc available.

The things that I didnt like about the old model were the gear whine (especially at about 4000RPM) and the heat emanating from the motor when you get stuck in traffic and the fan cuts in on a hot day.

I think it looks OK and I think that more bikes will trend toward this style of appearance in the future.

My only concern,and the thing that stops me from buying one immediately, is the reliability of the switching mechanism for the 2nd set of valves,after say a few years of use. I also agree with one of the previous correspondents who said that the money would have been better spent on a shaft drive, but I suppose that the "sports" part of the market wouldnt like that.

More capacity wouldnt go astray if Honda want to seriously compete with the Triumph Sprint ST which outsells VFRs at about 5:1 here according to a dealer who sells both
paulfromdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2001, 06:20 AM   #152
Zipper326
Founding Member

Default Finally someone with Brains

If you check motorcycle consumer news (I believe the issue was Nov. 2000) you will find that Honda has the best durabilty record over any major motorcycle company. And Honda has been using the V-Tec design for years in there cars so why would you think that the bike would have problems. Secound why do all the major motorcycle mags think the VFR is the greatest sport touring ever, every year. Have any of you guys actually rode a VFR. Trust me ride one first, and if you still think it's sucks then so be it it's a free country. Oh, one last thing, the bike has chain drive instead of shaft drive because it leans more on the sport end. If you want a bike that leans more on the touring end in the sport/touring bikes buy a ST1300 or R1150RT. And if you buy BMW R1150RT plan to have some serious cash on hand for all those expensive services, maintances, optional accessories, and basically add 50% if it says BMW (Nevermind the fact you can buy a better bike like the ST1100 or ST1300 and save some money). Oh well, I know I just pissed some of you off, but I just don't understand why people do not like the VFR. So please except my appology in advance. Thanks.
Zipper326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 06:22 AM   #153
Zipper326
Founding Member

Default I just do not understand... Honda makes great bikes...

If you check motorcycle consumer news (I believe the issue was Nov. 2000) you will find that Honda has the best durabilty record over any major motorcycle company. And Honda has been using the V-Tec design for years in there cars so why would you think that the bike would have problems. Secound why do all the major motorcycle mags think the VFR is the greatest sport touring ever, every year. Have any of you guys actually rode a VFR. Trust me ride one first, and if you still think it's sucks then so be it it's a free country. Oh, one last thing, the bike has chain drive instead of shaft drive because it leans more on the sport end. If you want a bike that leans more on the touring end in the sport/touring bikes buy a ST1300 or R1150RT. And if you buy BMW R1150RT plan to have some serious cash on hand for all those expensive services, maintances, optional accessories, and basically add 50% if it says BMW (Nevermind the fact you can buy a better bike like the ST1100 or ST1300 and save some money). Oh well, I know I just pissed some of you off, but I just don't understand why people do not like the VFR. So please except my appology in advance. Thanks.
Zipper326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 07:12 AM   #154
gerritbrand
Founding Member

Default Re: Finally someone with Brains

I think you are absolutely right. I don't understand what the hell people can have against the VFR V-tech. It's a great technique Honda's using. I just don't understand why so many motorfreaks are so terribly oldfashioned. If you want old technique buy an oldtimer. I am all in for the latest thing. And trust Honda to bring out the best. And this is no commercial....

by the way I am not an anonymous squid but I don't know how to change that in the programme. I am a guy from the Netherlands... Gerrit Brand is my name. e-mail: gerrit_brand@hotmail.com
gerritbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 07:15 AM   #155
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Superbike Dyno results

In the interest of science, I bought the January issue of Superbike, and they have a 01 to 02 direct comparison. Their dyno chart does show about a 2.5 to 3 ft-lb improvement along most of the RPM range for the '02. The one exception is around 7,000, presumably because of the VTEC transition. Other than 7k, there is a clear improvement from 4,000 through 11,000 rpm.

They also show the peak of the 01 at 53.5, so that's the same. The 02 peak is 56, and there is a clear improvement from 4k to 6k and from 7k to 11k. The latter is curious, because I thought the Honda material said the engine would run the same above 7k.

Otherwise, they liked the bike a lot, saying it was a clear, incremental improvement over an already great bike.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:03 PM   #156
spinalator
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly Tech-Is it a sportsbike?

The bike is sporty, as beginner squids on R1's will attest when they fail to catch up to a decent rider on a VFR in the twisties. You can ride it longer without a butt-ache than the race ready bikes, so it is more of a tourer than some. If people still want sportier and lighter then the CBR or an R1 fits the bill nicely. It has decent everyday ergos and the engine pumps out decent HP for the low displacement. I disagree with it being expensive to service, service a Ducati or a BMW for 100,000 km and get back to me, there is NO comparison. Superbike magazine in the UK did a test of the old VFR, Duc ST4s, Futura, BMW R1100 sport, and Sprint. The Honda happily romped to 168 mph in the Alps and blew the doors off of everything else (including 2 cages: a BMW M5 and a Benz SL 500), and won the shoot out. The other bikes could go fast but vibrated or handled poorly at high speeds and cornering was not as smooth. What else do you want in a sport touring bike?

spinalator

drterryjacobs@sk.sympatico.ca
spinalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:46 PM   #157
kurtw
Founding Member

Good synopses of some of the ride reports hot off the presses at:

http://www.v-four.freeserve.co.uk/vfr800_2002.htm

They discuss the measured and perceived power

differences (or lack of). The more I read, the more

confused I get.

Only a test ride is going to clear anything up.

'02 SprintST + suspension upgrade is sounding pretty good.
kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 09:29 AM   #158
max-9
Founding Member

IM SORRY ,BUT THIS LOOKS LIKE A BIG SCOOTER

but im sure someone , somewhere will love it. maybe it handles really good ?
max-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 09:33 AM   #159
xsquirrelykid
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly Tech-Is it a sportsbike? from xsquirrelykid

My intent was never to insinuate that the VFR isn't a great bike. I had a 1990 model and racked up 9000 miles on it. I'm a 6 footer @ 210 lbs and I loved it for it's torque and seamless power band. I did however find the bike to be top heavy, regardless of what all the reviewers had to say. It felt all of it's 475 lbs. dry. I used to take it out to the Ortega Highway (Clifornia road loaded with esses and twisties) and though it was a stable and reliable mount) it never performed like my buddies 95 CBR6OO. That bike just flowed down the road and definitely made me feel a more confident rider in those situations. Not a true sportbike you might say? I agree whole heartedly.

Now get that bike out on the highway and it tracked like it was on rails and showed no inclination to be blown about like the 600 in the same situation but after 150 miles, my wrists were absolute toast and the ride ceased to maintain it's carefree nature. In essence I wanted off! When your going to San Francisco from Orange county there's still roughly 400 miles to go from the time my wrists started barking so I'd find myself leaning on the tank with one arm and riding one handed. One arm riding with the throttle locked is a compromised position at best, really dangerous at it's worst. So is it a good touring mount? Not by my standards for touring.

I understand the bike was meant to be a compromise and is trying to give you the best of both worlds, but for $10,000+ dollars? Valve adjustments were a 16000 mile propostion and mine needed it done each and every 16,000 miles to the tune of 300+ dollars. At least with desmodronic valves you get that sweet tap, tap, tap sound that ducks are so famous for. As far as BMWs are concerned were in total agreement.

So not to deride a great machine that's an excellent commuter, but for my purposes I found the machine to be neither great a a sports machine or a tourer. The only thing I really liked was that great V4 motor and IMHO the price of admission is to high for that alone.

If Honda could just pare about 40-50 pounds and centralize it's mass it may just be worth the asking price, but as is, I see the bike as a showcase for gee-whiz

technology from the engineers in Japan and not a whole lot more. Why isn't my username showing up on the byline? Anyone? Ride free ride safe
xsquirrelykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 09:54 AM   #160
xsquirrelykid
Founding Member

Default Re: To quote the iguana, with a twist

Snap out of it man! These guys at MO have biases like everyone else ....and for reasons you and I know nothing about. Most of which probably have nothing to do with actually riding the machines. Based on this "review" all we really know is the bikes dyno almost identically and the folks at MO didn't want to get wet. Ain't no need to throw personal insults at folks.
xsquirrelykid is offline   Reply With Quote