Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-28-2001, 03:47 AM   #121
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run

Well, I pulled this little "tidbit" out of the MO archives. The 2000 ZX9R street test. Maybe you can chew on this since you are into MO:

"The ZX-9R has excellent wind protection, a thrilling (fun, but not scary) motor and it is able to competently play racer-boy on local backroads one day and pull double-duty as a sport-tourer the next. Very few other bikes offer that sort of flexibility. In fact, the only one that comes to mind is Honda's VFR800 Interceptor, but that motorcycle offers nowhere near the racetrack capability nor the visceral thrill of the Kawasaki ZX-9R."

Powerful argument for my side, eh? So MO agrees with me as does Cycle World if you bother to "read" much. You put lots of stock in these people, so would you like some salt with your "crow". Since I own one and have access to the other, it is "YOU" who doesn't know what he is "talking" about. I already told you the seating positions are essentially the same and the power difference and handling is the only thing different. Both negative on the VFR. The VFR is exactly as I said. A trendy, slower, worse handling, over-engineered, heavy ZX9R. Now do you think it's time you got over it? Doubt you will admit you are wrong even though it's flat in your face.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2001, 03:57 AM   #122
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Maybe you need to step back and see what you said:

" Excuse me for taking the advice from the people who actually make a living riding and evaluating motorcycles on a daily basis!"

So you obviously are "taking advise" for one reason or another, and I stated to ride and figure it out for yourself. Somehow you had a problem with that and said some nonsense about 10 second bikes, and blah, blah, blah. And wow "they" are "all" impressed. I guess I need to toe the line and not see anything for what it is, but rather as they "tell" me it is. I guess that goes back you your "taking advise" theory that I said was a crock. Maybe you have a problem thinking and acting for yourself and need someone to help you in that area. No problem with me, just don't tell me what it's all about with somebody else's words. I can judge for myself.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:19 AM   #123
deweybch
Founding Member

If that is actually out of MO, then I stand corrected. However, I still think the VFR is better for longer journeys with a passenger (the passenger seat just doesn't look that comfortable on the ZX-9R and no where to hold on). I also don't think the ZX-9R has hard luggage that you can attach. Maybe you can correct me on this. Anyways, I do 'read' and I will go and look for this article, or maybe you can tell me where it is. I would like to read it. Maybe I will look into the ZX-9R?! With that said, I will admit I am one who likes all the extra 'gizmos', technology, and refinement that come with the VFR - under seat exhaust, dash, VTEC exhaust sound, four front lights, V4 engine, etc. And for the record, I'm not that into the reviews - they are informative, however I DO prefer to test a bike on my own to figure out what is right for me. Right now, the VFR goes a long way in that department. I don't think I could get my wife on the back of a ZX-9R for too long - it doesn't look 'safe' to her! Whatever that means - you can die on the back of a VFR just as easy as any other bike (and no, she is not the deternining factor on which bike I get). Anyways, thanks for the 'fun' conversations - it's good to see other people have the same passions as I do, even if they are in another direction!
deweybch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 07:12 AM   #124
2000zrx1100
Founding Member

Great bike for many years was just hoping that they would get it over 1000cc so I could trade in my ZRX but no such hope. they missed the mark needs more torque.
2000zrx1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 08:04 AM   #125
deweybch
Founding Member

Wow...please let me know where you read this article. I just read the 2001 & 1998 reports on the ZX-9R in MO and I did not see any comparison between the ZX-9R and VFR. All I saw was in the 2001 report that it was the best sports-tourer of the four bikes they tested - nothing about being the best sports-tourer around. I'm done bickering back and forth, so please take this with a grain of salt. It seems as if it would be a great bike to own, and I'm sure I'd be very happy with it as it seems to be a great All-around bike. This bike seems to be lost though - it was last in the report of 2001 open class, and it's not considered a sport-tourer - so what is it? Perhaps a sport-tourer with more emphasis on sport - definitely not a bad way to go. Either way, to each his own - I know I would be happy with either bike. I'll admit I was wrong about it not being a capable sport-tourer - mainly because I knew it was an open class bike. I also admit that is is one second faster in the 1/4 mile, although it's amazing to me that 10.2 second 1/4 mile is now considered slow in this class of bike - scary. Lastly, after all this was said, you still prefer the ZX-9R and I still love the VFR. They are completely different bikes, although you will never admit it. The ZX-9R is considered an open class sporbike, not a sport-tourer - although it is the best sport-tourer of the open class sport bikes. The bottom line is that if I wanted an incredibly fast bike I would just buy something else. I will be perfectly happy with 100hp, 11 second 1/4 mile, and 150mph top speed - and I DON"T mind the extra weight! Just answer me one last question - why do hate the VFR so much? If you don't like it, fine. But why bash it if it's not your type of bike. I haven't once bashed the ZX-9R, and I have actually said good things about it. It's just not my type of bike - that is all.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:13 AM   #126
starvingstudent
Founding Member

> This bike was NEVER meant to be a sports bike

Not to jump into a heated debate halfway through, but...

The VFR, aka Interceptor, was introduced as a TRACK WEAPON and slowly evolved toward "sports-tourer," achieving that title only in the past few years. I remember that five years ago, the term "Sports-tourer" referred to the ST1100 and R1100RT, not ZX6Rs and VFRs. That same five years ago, the VFR and the YZF600R were considered "sportbikes with easier ergos," but definately not sport-tourers.

Beside that, all I can say is that all of these categories--"sport-tourer," "track weapon," "sportbike," etc are just arbitrary names that we tack on to pieces of machinery. Why sweat so much about them?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 08:18 AM   #127
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I think it's a nice upgrade too. The VTEC may or may not make a difference, but remember that's not the only change they made. VFR riders have been pining after hard luggage for years, so having them as a Honda-made accessory is a major bonus. And it's about time Honda showed off that single-sided rear swingarm as opposed to hiding it with an exhaust pipe.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:20 AM   #128
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Sounds like _someone_ is subconsciously lusting after the new ZZR1200.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:16 AM   #129
deweybch
Founding Member

I AGREE COMPLETELY! ALL I was saying is that no one has riden the VFR other than the professionals - so I think it's funny that everyone is putting it down without having riden the damn thing! You can say all you want to about it's appearance and dyno numbers (and only ONE dyno run at that), but until you get on one, performance and handling are impossible to judge until you ride it for yourself. Geez...
Old 12-28-2001, 10:32 AM   #130
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Article is in MO Archives, Kawasaki year 2000 ZX9R Street Test link. I will never admit they are completely different because they both evolved into the same thing. One just has more horsepower and handling and the other more weight and complexity. I feel last years VFR is a better motorcycle that this one. All the changes were for tech and tech alone. Didn't do a damn thing for performance. Oh, they included hard bags. Anyone can buy a set from Givi which I'm sure will be cheaper, work better and hold more than the Honda factory bags. If you don't like the ZX9R that is your right and I never said it wasn't, but PLEASE don't fool yourself with all the hype. When you get beyond it all what I said initally still holds true. The ZX9R is a VFR that is faster and handles better. Read the MO article and they say as much, although I don't need them to tell me what I already know. Good luck with your VFR and I hope you buy it because it's what YOU like and NOT what the reviewers like. Then again when have the reviewers ever trashed a new model?? Few and far between I'lll tell ya.