Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-26-2001, 05:15 PM   #101
madcow
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run

You're right - the biggest difference is the crankshaft. The RC46 has a 180 degree crank and the RC45 360 degrees. The RC45 also had titanium conrods. I'm sure there are also many other differences in the details. However, it's probable that most internal parts are interchangable. In fact I do know that the last RC45 racers used VFR800 heads when production of RC45 was discontinued. But as you say the best thing about the RC45/46 engines are their gear-driven cams. I've owned a VFR400 NC30, a VFR750 and a VFR800 all of which produced a delicious howl from their gear-driven cams. I wouldn't buy a VFR without them!

madcow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2001, 05:55 PM   #102
SezaGeoff
Registered Member

It probably feels faster, coz it has the old hot rod equipment maker's trick of a steep rise in the curve as the other valves kick in - giving you a "wow" feeling. That's why two strokes were so much fun, from one who traded an RG500 Suz. on a 92 Honda VFR...

SezaGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 11:16 PM   #103
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly with Tech Features of a Cadillac 8-6-4

Does it care?

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 03:10 AM   #104
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Maybe if you took a measurement or two you would find they are VERY close in riding position, but that may be beyond you. My bike is 400 lbs and doesn't get "blown all over the highway". Maybe you need a GoldWing?? The only reason it's a "sport tourer" is because it's too tubby and slow to be anything else. More like a full second in the quarter is more like it also if we want to be precise and 25 mph in top speed. This bike HAS to get some good press else how will they sell em?? Geez if they didn't make a "new" one this year they wouldn't sell any right? I bet a "standard" is more comfortable because it has a better riding position and even MORE weight that is very valuable to you. Yeah I agree you should wait for the "reviews" and read em about 10 times and get that "Bike of the Year" award, which makes it so much better than last years "Bike of the Year" You are right the ZX9R will not be Bike of the Year. It's just the VFR that does everything better than the VFR. Ride em back to back(as I do quite often) and maybe you "might" be a little suprised.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:21 AM   #105
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I don't think you should take the "reviews" so serious. I don't care how long they "make a living riding and evaluating motorcycles". They have likes and dislikes and bring prejudice into every review, and pretty much admit it. Their needs and wants may not match yours, hence go ride them yourself and take those "reviews" with a grain of salt. I am my own best "professional bike critic" and no review will tell me what is best for me.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:44 AM   #106
Plomb
Founding Member

Re " why the hell would Honda want to ......", like a lot of things at Honda, I suspect the answer is , because they can. Must admit I admire them for that.

John

Ireland
Plomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 05:57 AM   #107
deweybch
Founding Member

You need to take a step back a look at what your saying. No review will ever tell me what to buy, and I certainly did not sinuate anybody should buy a bike merely on a review. There are a myriad of classes of bikes out there, all with there own purpose. The critics obviously have their own opinions, however you seem to have a prejudice over any bike that doesn't do 180mph and the quarter mile in 10 seconds. The bottom line is that these guys have riden many more bikes than I (and you) will ever ride. Although they may be prejudice, they tell it like it is. The fact is that it isn't just one or two of these guys giving the VFR praise - ALL of them have been impressed.
deweybch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 06:31 AM   #108
ZR-7
Founding Member

Dah...

Always has and always will. A $10,000 bike should out power a $5,000 bike every time! But, you don't see Kawasaki's marketing department trying to push some "new" BS gadget that does nothing for horse power nor torque. Maybe they will next week, who knows?

Honda still gets the raspberry award for this marketing campaign and product expectation. I hope the new ST1300 has real changes and not a bunch of VFR VTECH fluff/BS...

Philip

ZR-7 without VTECH
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 06:38 AM   #109
deweybch
Founding Member

"The only reason it's a sport-tourer is because it's to tubby and slow to be anything else."??? Are you kidding me? That's the most asinine thing you have said so far. This bike was NEVER meant to be a sports bike, and there are plenty of bikes much slower and larger than the VFR. It's a sport-tourer, it's meant to be a little bigger and slower than a super-sport bike. Hence, it is called a sport-tourer, it performes well AND is able to go on long journeys - with someone on the back. Riding on the back of a ZX9R is in NO WAY as comfortable (or enjoyable) as it is on a VFR. The ZX9r is also not built to handle hard luggage, one of the reasons the VFR has more weight to it. Maybe you just have problem with a class of motorcycle called the 'sport-tourer' or you just don't understand what 'sport-touring' encompasses. I am merely saying that the VFR is as close as you can come to having the best of both worlds - meaning it is just as happy riding alone in the twisties as it is riding long distances WITH a passenger AND with luggage. That is what I want. It's not the fastest or best handling bike out there (the ZX9R is obviously better in this department - because it's designed to be!) and it's not the heaviest, most comfortable 'tourer' either. It does exaclty what it was designed to do, BOTH - and it does BOTH very well! Oh yeah, "Bike of the year" must be crap, because the people that vote on this MUST ALL be wrong! What a terrible injustice - maybe you should get a job writing for one of these magazines/companies so there will be some justice in this world! Oh no, the VFR is a great bike, I better do something because NOBODY knows what their talking about! I love the ZX9R, but it is in no way the same as the VFR, and vice versa. Get over it.
deweybch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 07:27 AM   #110
polishnightmare
Founding Member

Yes, but the 748 is also a 100 lbs. lighter and has better suspension. The only thing this is a HOG in sheeps clothing.
polishnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote