Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/985-year-2002-vfr-interceptor-dyno-run.html)

madcow 12-26-2001 03:33 AM

Re: What a shame....

I live in Australia where I bought my silver and red anniversary edition in Oct 1999. Honda Australia apparently sold 90 of them here. The glossy brochure I got with it is a normal Honda brochure printed in Japan that also lists a number of other 50th anniversay specials ranging from a step-through to an ST1100. Since I know that Honda's Australian distributer did not produce these bikes (or even import all of them) the idea must have come from Japan.

longride 12-26-2001 06:02 AM

Re: Year 2002 VFR Interceptor Dyno Run

"However, everything I have read on the bike says it feels faster... "

A little wishful thinking or maybe a bit of payola, eh?? Makes ya wonder how a bike with the same power AND heavier "feels" faster. LOL

"MO compared this bike against the bigger displacement (1000cc's) Triumph and Aprilla sport tourers and said the VFR was a definite winner."

Well, compare it to a ZX9R which basically has the same riding position and same price. The 9R will blow it in the weeds in every catagory of measurable performance. Better "sport tourer" than the Honda with old technology. Honda wasted millions developing the answer to a question that nobody asked. Another "technological wonder" that I wonder why it exists.

"this bike has always been the launching pad for their new technology..."

What technology is that? More weight, more complexity, and higher price for less performance?

Oh, damn Kaw forgot to put the pipes under the seat. How trendy! They also forgot to add all that "road hugging weight" also.

deweybch 12-26-2001 06:33 AM

It's funny how EVERYONE seems to be a 'professional' bike critic...especially since no one other than the REAL professionals have had a chance to actually ride the new VFR. The ONLY negative comments I've seen so far have been coming from the peanut gallery! Excuse me for taking the advice from the people who actually make a living riding and evaluating motorcycles on a daily basis!

deweybch 12-26-2001 06:34 AM

Re: you mean, "as we write". Sorry, couldn

you got me there!

deweybch 12-26-2001 07:05 AM

ZX9R and VFR same riding position? PLEASE! New technology? Have you read any of the articles? Everything is new on this bike - suspension, engine, brakes to name just a few. I'll give you the extra weight (and the damn chain driven cams), but some of us actually LIKE a little weight to our bikes. My last bike was 400 lbs and I got blown all over the highway. I commute 60 miles round trip to work, the extra weight is EXACTLY what I want. So the VFR doesn't do the 1/4 mile half a second faster, it's the sacrifice I'll take for comfort. Besides, it handles as well as you need it to in the twisties. I'll let you in on a little secret, the VFR ISN'T ALL about performance! I've rode a '94 ZX9R (and a '00 VFR) - a very nice bike - and for the most part, I have always been a Kawasaki person, but there is no way you can compare these two bikes. They serve entirely two different purposes. This is a REAL world bike. If I want 150hp/400lb bike, I would get something else. Seeing as I don't spend most of my riding time on an actual track (as MOST of do not), this bike, in my opinion, is the best of the sport AND touring world. Remember, this bike is not intended to be a pure sports bike, hence the title sport-tourer! I'll wait to see MO's and Motorcycle daily's final analysis - but I'm sure they're going to be fantastic reviews. We'll see what bike gets bike of the year - I don't think it will be the ZX9R!

lkwei 12-26-2001 07:20 AM

I would like to see what the atmospheric conditions were for the '01 VFR dyno run. The write-up admitted that the conditions were cold and wet. We're really comparing apples to oranges if the '01 test was in warm and dry weather.

luvmyvfr 12-26-2001 08:40 AM

More displacement please!

Starving,

I for one would like more displacement from the VFR, and I have a couple of reasons why. I don't like small bikes, and I don't like the current liter bikes out there either, I'm 6' 4'' and 260 lbs. I feel like I'm riding a little kid's bike when I ride a SV 650, an R6, or even a 929 (haven't ridden others you mentioned). They're like little toys! My CR 500 demands more respect from me than those "girls bikes" do!

I'm too cramped on all of the bikes you mentioned to ride any real distance (which I occasionally enjoy, hence the sport-tour ride of choice for me), and I'm not going to be riding a goldwing or a cruiser any time in the near future (can't afford and don't want a beemer, maybe sour grapes, not sure why).

I would _love_ a FJR 1300, but they haven't brought it stateside. The only thing that would keep me from buying one as soon as they hit US soil would be a 1000cc VFR. I'd love to hear the V-4 song with bigger pipes too.

So really, does my VFR need a bigger engine? No, it's just fine, but I'd like a bigger engine, and if they could keep the weight down (no reason they shouldn't) it would be a perfect bike for me.

luvmyvfr

luvmyvfr 12-26-2001 08:49 AM

Regarding a Vfour mass

I will say this, I replaced the spark plugs on my VFR recently, and I could not believe how far down in the motor they were! There was at least 8 inches of metal motor-stuff ABOVE the spark plugs! What the hell do they have up there? Is it some kind of unlisted hard luggage I've neglected to use? WOW. Anyway, That probably has a lot to do with the weight of the motor, from what I can tell. Forget using one of those tire pumps that you screw into a spark plug hole too. It was too hard to get to the plugs for a roadside fix. Guess I'll have to buy a CO2 tire kit.

luvmyvfr

luvmyvfr 12-26-2001 08:57 AM

I wonder how much of the "feels" faster is the sound of the engine with only 2 valves running while under 7000. I would like to hear the sound, but I'm not guaranteeing I would like it.

luvmyvfr

xsquirrelykid 12-26-2001 02:38 PM

Re: Ugly with Tech Features of a Cadillac 8-6-4

100 percent agreement on that note. Hmmm....., let me see..... weighs about the same as a SUZUKI 1200S with lower horsepower and torque specs for same. Mill is overly complicated and expensive as hell to service. Three grand more than the Suzuki. Yeah sure, sign me up Honda! Can't wait to keep your techs rolling in my dough for little better than average performance and handling from an over-engineered machine. Is it a Tourer? A Sport bike? Does it know what it is?