Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-07-2001, 07:03 AM   #1
K8
Founding Member

Default Re: RC211V Faster on Second Day of Test

First Post!!! So when can I buy the RC211V???
K8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2001, 08:31 AM   #2
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Katoh Fast again.

WHY OH WHY OH WHY IS Suzuki not testing yet. The bike is ready, the riders are ready, why isn't think bike there???
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:32 AM   #3
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Whoops, I meant why aren't they testing... SHows what happens when you are talking on the phone while posting.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 11:17 AM   #4
ttcaml
Founding Member

This is kind of off topic, but with wheel spin and tire life such a big deal for GP1 folks, could we see some type of computer-controlled wheel-spin-limiter? (traction control). Aprillia's new bike uses a drive-by-wire throttle, if something like that was coupled to a wheel speed sensor, and a radar system to measure ground speed, the slip of the tire could be calulated. The driver could just crank the throttle open and let the comuter do all the hard work.

Or maybe that would be a bad thing because it limits how much control the driver has, and takes away from the skill that is the hallmark of GP1 riders. What do ya'all think?
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 11:45 AM   #5
AzizaVFR
Founding Member

The FIM may consider it an unfair advantage, similar to CVT transmissions and active suspension developed for Formula 1 racing. Both things were ran out of the series because it took too much control from the drivers.

One thing you cannot teach a computer is feel. The top riders are able to tell and adjust throttle inputs for tire slippage. That is what makes them so good. If the GP1 series will showcase technologies that someday may trickle down into real-world motorcycles, there is a possibility in seeing bikes in the not so distance future with a similar system hard-coded to the bikes. That will take away the personality, skills, and thrill of riding motorcyles. If you want that, get an electric car.

Plus, it would not be anywhere as entertaining without seeing the sliding action of McCoy.

Enjoy,

-AzizaVFR
AzizaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:27 PM   #6
granny
Founding Member

I agree with others that what makes racing interesting is that it is combination of the rider and the bike competing. I'd hate to see the human element removed from the equation. If it were, the race could be run purely with machines and that would be boring. Might as well read scientific journals. There is a fine line though as to how much the machine is allowed to do. As much as I like bicycle racing, which is nearly all under the control of humans (including supplying the motive power), I find motorcycle racing far more exciting because of what the machine brings to the equation. It really comes down to opinion as to how much control the machine can have on the riding. I prefer to not see electronics added though the Aprilia announcement hints that electronics will play an important part.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:04 PM   #7
Shaft
Founding Member

Default Re: Katoh Fast again.

WAAAAAAAAAA!
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 03:49 PM   #8
jrw600
Founding Member

I wonder how traction control would work on a motorcycle? I understand on a car the computer compares the rotation of the front wheels and the rear wheels. On a motorcycle where you have the ability to lift the front wheel during hard acceleration the computer could determine the rear was spinning faster in relation to the front ( as if the rear was slipping). The computer would then limit power in some way and slow the bike down to equalize the front and rear wheel rotation. There must be some engineer out there who can explain how the system could (or could not ) work.
jrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 04:19 AM   #9
RonXX
Founding Member

I bet the NSR500 is still faster, and will be for a while to come. If it weren't for superstars like Rossi riding them, these four strokes would fail miserably.

RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 05:00 AM   #10
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default The title should read - "4strokes still slower than NSR"

knowing the Honda engineers never will, i wonder at what point the Honda accountants cry "Uncle"?
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote