Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 11-28-2001, 08:41 AM   #1
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi and Ukawa Give RC211V European Debut

Would we ever see a V-5 on a streetbike? I think the idea is wild. I'd love to hear what it sounds like.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2001, 09:19 AM   #2
hackfu
Founding Member

There are videos out there... just gotta look around. A friend from another magazine said it sounded like a VFR, just louder... and frankly, after hearing it for myself (via the computer mind you) I would have to agree. I guess you'll have to hear it for yourself. Heres a link to try out. You'll need Quicktime to see/hear 'em though.

http://www.orientexpress.com/suzuka/suzukavideos.htm
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 09:28 AM   #3
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Ok, question for everyone... er, request for opinions!

Everything I've been reading about the new 4st machines (Honda particularly but some on Yam) is that they are faster than the 2st bikes in testing. I realize that testing conditions are quite different from race conditions but, still, the 4st bikes appear to be exceptionally fast and could indicate that we'll see records broken all over the place next year with the 2st machines bringing up the rear of the pack.

What am I missing? Is this all propaganda or do you guys see the same thing. Is this any different from prior years testing? Are lap records always broken during the 'testing season'?

Thanks from a newbie follower of bike racing
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 09:49 AM   #4
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Testing numbers can be decievingly high or low, depending on the situation and what the team is trying to achieve through testing. My prediction (which may very well be wrong; that's why people race) is that two strokes will be dominant in the next season or couple of seasons since they are proven, and riders are probably more used to them. However, I think that four strokes will be competetive. I don't think they'll get totally smoked, but probably won't win as much as the two strokes for now. They may not even win any races this coming season, but I think there's a good possibility that they will. I also think that four strokes will eventually become dominant in a few seasons. Much more research is put into four strokes than two strokes, and the power to weight ratio and drivability of these engines are continuing to improve. I may be totally wrong, and the four strokes may dominate the first season out. A huge factor is the rider, and if the both types of bikes are truly competetive against one another, the rider will be the deciding factor. It'll be a very interesting season.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 10:01 AM   #5
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

I don't think you're factoring in the rider as much as you should. The 4 strokes may well win ALL the races. It's the old Johnny boy squid argument. The better rider on the marginally slower bike will beat the slower rider on the marginally faster bike almost every time. The very best riders (on the planet) will be on the 4 stroke machines.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:05 AM   #6
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default The LATEST DATA

THE track has been REPAVED since they last raced on it (record 1'43.7"). Today Rossi (Michelin) ran a 1'42.9" as opposed to the 1'43.1" yesterday and Katoh (Dunlop) ran a 1'42.6" (Damn!!!) as opposed to the 1'43.9" he ran yesterday, all on the 2-stroke no less. You make the call.

I wonder what the Yam (michelins) and the Suzook (Dunlop) will run. I like the tire changes this year. Most American riders ride better on Dunlops anyway so the change to GP may not be as hard. Looks like Michelin will have some major comp from Dunlop and Bridgestone. I thought it was funny that Dunlop was like the only tire used in 250 and mich was the only one used in 500GP. That I would like explained to me.

Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 11:24 AM   #7
RobM
Founding Member

According to MotoGP, http://www.motograndprix.com/Site/ma...IDEdition=6148 , Rossi will ride the new bike. And just out of interest, does anyone else think that the little 'zorst poking up out of the fairing below the rider's right boot is the horniest part of the rc211v??
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 12:05 PM   #8
fernandopan
Founding Member

Hey! Did you forget Loris Capirossi and Alex Barros with Honda Pons and the 250cc champion Katoh?

Honda Pons was the best team in this season, with Loris in 3rd and Barros in 4th in the championship, and they will be competing with 2 strokes next year. If the 2 strokes and the 4 strokes be competitive with one another, Barros, Loris and Katoh will be running for the championship too!
fernandopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 12:13 PM   #9
aminalmutha
Founding Member

True, the rider is probably the greatest factor in racing. However, a rider must be on at least a somewhat competetive bike to win races. At this point it's really impossible to tell how competetive the four strokes are against the two strokes under race conditions. I obviously don't know for sure, but I bet the two different types of bikes behave quite differently. The GP riders may be more used to riding what they've been riding. I don't know how big a factor that will be. It may be major, it may not. The four strokes may very well win all the races first year out, but they might not. Like I said, it'll be fun to watch. And I'm certainly not making any bets.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 01:08 PM   #10
Barsark
Founding Member

The four strokes might have a horsepower, but the the two strokes have years of tyre data to help them make race distance.its going to be interesting to watch.
Barsark is offline   Reply With Quote