Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 11-19-2001, 11:29 AM   #1
leupold18
Founding Member

Default Re: No Honda supersport racer for us

The bike sounds great, and reasonably priced, but can we have them shipped out here if we want one? Why does the US get screwed when it comes to toys and color choices???
leupold18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Because no one here actually buys the stuff. If they could sell it here for a profit, they would.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:05 PM   #3
guru_lou
Founding Member

Actually, you can import them into the U.S., but they would be for "race only" applications, could not be sold in the U.S. (except to another racer) and you have to submit proof of your eligibility to be a racer (race license). It'll still be a bit of a headache, but it could be done. Of course, you could take a U.S. spec bike and convert it to Supersport specs with HRC parts for about the same money, or less.
guru_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 02:24 PM   #4
RWUB
Founding Member

Yeah, but, "it would probably take around two months to complete and around 200 phone calls and could easily cost double the price ".

I think it would be well worth the savings in headaches to just be able to purchase a turnkey version. Plus you can have confidence that it was engineered by HRC, and it will be quick, well rounded, and most of all, safe!
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 03:13 PM   #5
MuzzyMatt
Founding Member

I live in San Francisco and have seen Aprilia RS 250s buzzing around the Bay Area. This is technically a race-only bike, but it can be had on the grey market.
MuzzyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 10:03 AM   #6
johnjay
Founding Member

Easy does it.

You can get a nice HRC kit for the CBR600 at: http://www.hrcusa.com/

If that's not enough then there's more toys at:

http://www.honda.co.jp/HRC/eng/index_e.html

Party On

John
johnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 04:43 AM   #7
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

HRC is self-explanitory; Muzzy does Kawasakis, Yoshimura specializes in Suzukis. Does Yamaha have either an in-house tuner organization or a preferred ouside race partner?
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 06:58 PM   #8
RWUB
Founding Member

Yamaha tunes their race bikes in-house. I think they call their association GYT-R, or something to that effect. I know you can buy various performance/race upgrades and modifications for most, if not all of their sporting product. Sorry that I can't be more specific.
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 04:36 AM   #9
stogieBill
Founding Member

Just a thought,but it's starting to appear that the world motorcycle markets are approaching a point of equilibrium. As soon as all markets require the same in noise and polution standards, there would be no point to introduce new models at different times due to differences in required technology. Right now, Europe is the largest market for M/C's. Probably, the cost of petrol is a major factor in the number of owners/riders there, ergo: they get the new stuff first.

I note that the US is tending towards California standards, which is very close to current Euro standards for allowable hydrocarbon emissions.

As we approach equilibrium, there will be less and less differences and thus, easier on the world's manufacturers to produce a single model, eg, the Honda Pan European vs the Honda ST1300. From my viewpoint, it's something for us Americans (and others) to look forward to.
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote