Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   2001 Honda Gold Wing Road Test (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94)

Lloyd 11-03-2000 06:51 AM

Re: 2001 Honda Gold Wing Road Test

My dearly beloved has been lobbying for the comfort of a Wing for our extended travels. The pillion position on our Kawasaki Concours is not the most comfortable place to spend 2 or 3 weeks on the road. We love the performance and handling and haven't wanted to compromise that. I think Honda may have a convert in a year or two with this sportier version. From the pictures, I don't think it is at all bad looking. Pricey? Yes, but what isn't?

Cheers,

Lloyd Mather, Toronto

Selden 11-03-2000 08:39 AM

It is nice to see Honda offering innovative engineering again. The Gold Wing series was long overdue for an overhaul. In its niche, the new wing looks like a category killer, with handling equal to or better than the BMW flagship, a lower center of gravity, and much better reliability.

I am not a large rider (a HawkGT fits me perfectly), and the old wings were just too huge even for consideration. For two-up riding I currently ride a 1994 PC800, which at 640 pounds is near the limit of what I feel I can handle comfortably at low speeds. While the PC is comfortable enough and handles well, it is seriously underpowered, and the windshield generates a lot of buffeting. The 2001 wing is probably still too big for me to feel comfortble with, but I will take a close look when they start showing up at dealers, although I think it's still too huge and baroque for my tastes.

Now, if Honda would just produce a minimalist touring bike for smaller riders, with say 80 BHP and a dry weight of less than 600 pounds. The VTR comes close, but lacks luggage, has chain drive, and none of the ones I have ridden handles twisty mountain roads nearly as quickly as my Hawk or PC.

SugarMrPoon 11-03-2000 12:21 PM

Hell Yeah! Wheelie the Wing!

SugarMrPoon 11-03-2000 12:22 PM

We do get the EL, it's called a Civic.

wingdave 11-03-2000 02:03 PM

Re: sport bikers..

thanks lex.. i think you're dead on with the adjustable (power) windshield.. heated seats..etc, that the beemer offers, honda should take a hint.. I have been seriously contemplating any and all big tourers.. (old school luxo style) until I saw the yammy on this site (FJ 1300) unfortunately not available in the US.. thanks for your input.

Time for many test rides..

lanesplitter 11-04-2000 01:21 AM

Smack da .

Ratner 11-05-2000 12:20 AM

The tradeoff for needing a valve inspection is higher revs, better fuel economy and lower emissions.

Sure, the 1500 has self-adjusting valves, but you sacrifice a lot in terms of efficiency.

celso 11-07-2000 06:43 AM

Re: 2001 Honda Gold Wing Road Test & automatically being dub

I was surprised also, but as I wanted the information, I had to fill the goddammed thing.

This format sucks!

wytehows 11-09-2000 05:16 PM

What a sharp peice of machinery. They have kept up with the styles of the young and gifted. I would love to have one. They have my vote. Good job Honda!!!!

caderider 11-22-2000 11:08 AM

Just curious, what is the definition of 'real biker'? I thought that if you drive you are a driver. If you walk, you are a walker. Doesn't it stand to reason that if you bike, then you are a biker?

For some reason, whenever i rearrange 'real biker' all I get is 'wannabe'. I dunno.

I love tourers! I ride what I want, not what others tell me I should.

For me, full dressers are tops!