Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 11-14-2001, 10:02 AM   #1
jackbird
Founding Member

Default How about hot rod airplanes?

Since you left the land for first snow then sea, might you not try the sky?

I had a little 2-seat Glasair taildragger airplane with a 300 hp engine once. Unlimited Reno air racers have ten times that. The sky is a good place to open up hot rods and see how fast they scoot along. For one thing, it's legal.

I'd love for Honda to get into making airplane engines, or whole airplanes. More power to them.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2001, 11:06 AM   #2
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: How about hot rod airplanes?

actually, i've always had a thing for ultra-light aircraft. however, Honda would probably have to use a 2 stroke for this application!!
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 11:12 AM   #3
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: How about hot rod airplanes?

Let me just go on record as saying I'd hope they stay away from placing a VTX1800 engine in it. Sort of goes against the whole "ultralight" concept...

A CR450F engine though, I'd be into that.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 11:20 AM   #4
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Ultra-lights not a market to ignore

If they can make a 4-stroke weedwacker they could make a 4-stroke ultralight aircraft engine. I wish they would. Even a Honda 2-stroke would be nice, but I'd rather they put their development yen into something less old fashioned, like a piston engine as far beyond the Harley-like Lycomings and Continentals we fly behind as their motorcycle engines are beyond Harleys.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:21 AM   #5
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default 180hp Turbo

that's a good number for a 4stroke! however, i'm confounded by the fact that Kawasaki's Ultra 150 is a 1200cc 2stroke triple only putting out 150hp.

Hell, Triumph's 955cc 4stroke triple is putting out 150hp. By all rights the Ultra should be putting out well over 200hp, if not 250hp. what's up?
Old 11-14-2001, 11:34 AM   #6
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Long history of flying motorcycle engines

The inline 4's with balance shafts would run much smoother and they weigh less for the power produced than presently popular horizontally opposed piston propeller powerplants for planes.

Maybe the other way, current aircraft engine to motorcycle, would be more promising. Gas turbine engines for airplanes are small, light, and available with as little as 500 horsepower.

Maybe Honda could make a 300 pound 500 horsepower both-wheel-drive sportbike. Tires and fuel tank would look large to our eyes.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:31 PM   #7
mxjunky
Founding Member

Default they sould let every one have them

i think that honda sould give ever state with good boat sells a couple of them so we know what they will look like so the dealers know what to expect when a owner breings it to a differnt state
mxjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 03:42 AM   #8
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Room to grow

No doubt Kawasaki have left themselves with a cheap way to improve that line year after year, as market conditions demand. If 180 is doable in 1000cc parallel twins in snowmobiles, 200 plus from a 1200 triple should be just a matter of deciding to do it. These are all crank numbers right? They don't use some sort of water dyno to measure the HP out the back of the boat, do they? How much HP does the impeller eat up? But I'm in over my head now, blub blub.

Crikey this just makes me sick that they won't do up a nice modern port 500 V-twin for some other app...I'd be wedging one into a bike tomorrow.

borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 07:06 AM   #9
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Default Turbine motorcycle

It already exists. go check out-

www.marineturbine.com/y2kinnov.htm

They clain 460lbs, 300hp and 425 ft/lbs torque. Granted, it is $150,000 to buy one, but a 9.8 second 1/4 mile is pretty interesting...
Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 09:24 AM   #10
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default HUH?

beebledeebeebledeebeebledeebeebledee