Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 10-05-2001, 07:44 AM   #1
VFRider
Registered Member

Default Re: Kurtis Roberts to race 500 GP

New bike, new tires. Sounds like a high-side waiting to happen. Maybe two.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2001, 08:04 AM   #2
stevegrab
Founding Member

As hard as Kurtis usually pushes, you're probably right.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 09:46 AM   #3
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

I think he is going to push too hard on the brakes. Dunlops save much ass on the brakes, ask ben bostrom and haga. $50 bucks says he loses it on the brakes.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:38 AM   #4
metal
Founding Member

Come on. He knows how to race. Unless he gets overexcited and loses his cool, which is unlikely, he's out to see what he can do and what the bike feel like to him, not win the race. I think if anything, the Roberts family is all about being smooth and controllable, which got Kenny Jr. the number 1 plate last season. A friend of mine was hanging out at a recent AFM weekend at Sears Point and met Roberts-the-grandpa. The man used to race Indians. He talked about how aggressive Jr. used to be when he was 17 and look at him now! They all obviously have the talent and I think are just as capable of using their brains too. I wish Kurtis the best of luck and am very excited to see the brothers on the same circuit.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 11:18 AM   #5
VFRider
Registered Member

high-side...front-end...high-side...front-end? Hell, I bet he loses the front-end, returns later and high-sides.

I'm a fan of the whole Roberts bunch, but as Momma says, without Dunlops to slide around on Kurtis could be picking gravel out of his teeth all weekend. Can't wait for tape delayed, Dorna approved, action!
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 12:01 PM   #6
ammomac
Founding Member

>>>I think if anything, the Roberts family is all about being smooth and controllable, which got Kenny Jr. the number 1 plate last season.

How ever "good" he is, I seem to recall bonehead moves like running under the others in ?turn 8 At Willow? Awesome move, but the comments after that really sat wrong with me. Something like "I was gonna make the pass or we were all going to go down".

Can't wait for this boy to get spanked at the GP level!

Mac
Old 10-05-2001, 12:02 PM   #7
das
Founding Member

Man, you guys are harsh. I'm guessing that Kurtis is there to impress, and while that means pushing hard, and thus an increased likelyhood of crashing, I'm guessing that tossing daddy's multi-million dollar toy into the barrier at 160mph right in front of daddy's sponsors isn't the best impression he could make... and he knows that.

Does anybody know if Kurtis will be replacing v.d.Goorbergh at the Malaysian round or running an additional bike?
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 12:07 PM   #8
das
Founding Member

Hmmm... I recall a comment to that effect, but I thought he was just being realistic... meaning that if he wanted to win, he had to make that pass, so he went for it, but the location of the other riders meant that if he screwed it up, the reality was that they were all going to end up crashing.

I didn't take it mean that his plan was to take the others out if he couldn't win.

But maybe that's just me being naive...
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 12:50 PM   #9
leupold18
Founding Member

Hmmm... could this come down to a Roberts vs. Bostrom class in a few years??? My money is on the Bostrom brothers.
leupold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 12:55 PM   #10
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Kurtis Roberts to race 500 GP crashathon

We all know how Kurtis likes to over-ride a bike, like he did last year. All the superbike races that he praticed and qualified for, he was up front, but he crashed the RC51 each time. A change to Bibs is a big one. I can't tell much difference but the pros say it's a big difference when it comes to getting away with sliding. Anyway, even though I think he will curl that bike up in a knot, I hope the best for him because I want American riders to rule once again in GP racing.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote