Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 10-05-2001, 12:01 PM   #11
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Kurtis Roberts to race 500 GP

Well if he had to make that move to win, and if he was to screw up (not make the pass), the other riders were goingto crash. Sure he wasn't just thinking that he was going to win, or take them out.

The real problem was making that comment to the media. I'm sure his dad told him something like, "Don't ever make a comment like that. Just say it was a tough pass, but I was confident I could make it."
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2001, 12:45 PM   #12
Azrifel
Founding Member

He's gonna bin it, no doubt. Or else score a no-point finish.

And the vd Goorbergh bit is what I want to know too. Can't KR sr bare it he's riding a 2002 NSR500 next year?

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 12:51 PM   #13
Azrifel
Founding Member

Michelins simply suck, so he's gonna bin it, bad.

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 03:39 AM   #14
Coldrider
Founding Member

Personally, I think Kurtis is a rockhead and a spoiled brat riding on his family name. He may have inherited some amount of talent but not enough to really be a great rider. I bet if you put some privateers on his machinery they'd be running up front, too. But it's the bonehead passes he makes that leave me unimpressed. In a 600SS race earlier this year he crashed John Hopkins by flying into a turn, already crowded by six or seven riders, and trying to back it in under Hopkins. Roberts hit Hopkins and they both crashed with Hopkins out and Roberts able to continue the race. I understand winning means taking some risks, but the risks he takes with the safety of others and his own personal safety just leaves him a wannabe. But that's just my opinion.
Coldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 07:47 AM   #15
superbikefan
Founding Member

It's not just your opinion, it's accurate, insightfull, and on-the-money truthful (in my opinion!).

Many of his way too aggressive and downright dangerously selfish moves in 600 Supersport are etched in peoples minds, and by now he's earned the reputation he deserves. If he tries any of the same crap in a 500GP, the consequenses will be very costly indeed- in more ways than just dollars.

It'll be interesting either way...maybe he'll surprise everyone and show some maturity and judgement.
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 02:02 PM   #16
ammomac
Founding Member

Agreed, I didn't get the feeling there was anything "malicious" about it, just wreckless.

Presonnaly, I've just never liked him. No real reason, just one of those instant decisions.

Mac
Old 10-08-2001, 03:10 AM   #17
intruderman
Founding Member

I have to agree that Kurtis often rides beyond his ability and endangers other riders.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 03:32 AM   #18
doohan
Founding Member

I'm not a big Kurtis fan but I can say 2 things about him.

1. He can ride

2. He rides on the reckless side

I think his biggest problem is he tries to make up for any lack of talent by running WFO without care to those around him. Bad habit he needs to break soon.

Good luck Kurt....don't hurt any of our 500 hero's
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 12:22 PM   #19
Colorado_F4
Registered Member

An amusing Kurtis story:

At Pikes Peak this year Kurtis crashed his 600 in Turn 7 coming onto the front straight. The crowd cheered. Through some stupid AMA rule he was able to get back into the race w/o losing any positions after a re-start. He then crashed in the same spot. The crowd cheered again.
Colorado_F4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:31 AM   #20
Lincoln
Founding Member

funny, i feel the same about you asssmomac. dunno why, i just do. one of those "instant decisions"
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote