Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   New Hondas all over the web! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/837-new-hondas-all-over-web.html)

Rafi 09-10-2001 01:32 PM

Re: New Hondas all over the web!

Correct. They shouldn't call this a VTEC system. This system is almost identical to the one on my old 1986 Toyota MR2, only Toyota called it TVIS (Toyota Variable Intake System). Worked great and it was seamless, except for the (sweet) exhaust note change when it kicked into 4-valve mode. I'm presuming the new VFR will have the same characteristics. And I doubt it will deliver the power kick upon switchover in the same way as a "real" VTEC system would. If this trickles down to other models (it should be easy to incorporate in any bike) then *that* would be cool....

Mutt 09-10-2001 01:34 PM

Yeah, screw the FJ1300, I'll take the honda!

nweaver 09-10-2001 01:35 PM

Not quite...

The VTEC effect doesn't show up in those figures, which is designed to up the LOW end without affecting the high end. When dyno charts are available, it should be pretty plain how things have changed.

As for the weight, remember, the VFR is not a sportbike, but an all-rounder. If you want something light, buy a CBR. Making the VFR lighter wouldn't really help it compete against the Sprint or Futura: the weight is there for a reason, it makes it more stable hauling down teh road at autobahan speeds.

starvingstudent 09-10-2001 01:47 PM

You can only have so much. Frankly, I'm kind of tired of people calling for extra technology and gadgets, dramatically more displacement, dramatically more horsepower, dramatically more torque, and dramatically less weight. Engineers may be good, but they can't work magic.

If you're waiting for a 1500cc, 200hp sports tourer with integrated hard luggage, which weighs 250 lbs, handles like an Aprilia RS125, but is as comfortable as a Goldwing, DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH. Sometimes you have to prioritize and make choices.

desertbilly 09-10-2001 02:02 PM

The old way isn

During the olden days (before the web) they could get by with having a Euro introduction 11 days before the US introduction, because the daily media wouldn't pick it up, and the only media that would pick it up were the monthly magazines. That isn't going to work any more, with virtually instant, easily available web sites and web access around the world.

Big companies like Honda are going to have to accept simultaneous releases in the US and Europe, or one big one and the others will have to tag along.

aminalmutha 09-10-2001 02:04 PM

Me too.

banda 09-10-2001 02:22 PM

There's no such thing as a VTEC "power surge" if the engine is tuned properly.

The automotive VTEC changes the cam profiles at a predetermined RPM where the torque figures for both cam profiles are equal.

The motorcycle "Hyper VTEC" changes the intake and exhaust gas speeds at an rpm where the torque figures for both setups is equal.

Either method allows the motor to enjoy a flatter, fatter torque curve across low and high rpms with a seamless transition.

98Viffer 09-10-2001 02:26 PM

Well put. The VFR is simply the finest, balanced package out there. It has been for a long time. Wanna race? Buy a GSX-R. Wanna go cross country? ST1100 or Wing. Only afford one bike? VFR. Do everything well. Just don't expect it to be as good on either extreme.

Flanny 09-10-2001 02:42 PM

Yep - you can't have it ALL. The new model seems seems true to VFR form...If you are a real VFR lover, you would accept a (mere) 6 pound weight gain in order to have a smoother power delivery curve, higher torque, and optional bags, and abs, as well as ' styling.

The aftermarket companies will have a hay-day on this with some serious exhausts, and EFI chips that should make you completely forget about the six pounds.

Besides - if you'd lighten up on the doughnuts, and go for a walk a couple of times a week, you should be able to lose the six pounds yourself in about three weeks. ;)

Flanny

sqidbait 09-10-2001 03:04 PM

Thumbs down on the Hornet: high pipes ( great

for burning soft luggage! ) and no centrestand.

Looks like an FZ-1 is in my future...

-- Michael