Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 09-07-2001, 09:59 AM   #1
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default uggh

what a crock of ****!! A Goldwing as Motorcycle of the Year?! The Goldwing provides it's rider(driver) with the most de-sensitized riding experience in all of motorcycling! The thing is a truck and a boat, no matter how light they've made it, it still weighs 800 friggin pounds. Sure it's got a great motor - the dam* thing is bigger than half the car engines on the road so it better be. Plus it's priced out of the reach of most, not all, but most motorcyclists. I don't know, i think Motorcyclist Magazine is being very generous classifiying this monstrosity as a "motorcycle"
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2001, 10:07 AM   #2
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: uggh

Clearly you've missed the point. Just because it's not your cup of tea, it doesn't mean it's not a fantastic motorcycle. Last I heard, Motorcycle of The Year went to the "most significant new motorcycle". In years past, some of the winners weren't the most comfortable, or proved to be the most reliable, but they were in fact a very significant introduction. The Goldwing is very important for more reasons than handling and outright performance.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 10:12 AM   #3
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda

Shouldn't it have won Automobile of the Year?
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

You should see the new accessory package for the Gold Wing. For only $5,499 you get body work that completely encloses the driver and passenger. Windshield wipers and two extra whells for balance are included. It is called the Weather Insulated Multiton Platorm Tourer or W.I.M.P. Tourer for short.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:14 AM   #5
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Wouldn't that make it a Honda Civic?
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 11:07 AM   #6
Quahaug
Founding Member

Default Re: MOTY always makes someone cranky

I think if you asked most people who went out and bought a new motorcycle last year, they'd say that MOTY should be the one they selected.

The motorcycle industry has engineered an incredibly diverse variety of two-wheeled machines because motorcyclists are an incredibly diverse bunch of people. If the award goes to the GSX-R1000 simply because it's so fast, then you've got a HUGE sector of the riding public saying "Hey, that thing is uncomfortable, ugly, and should be confined to a track." If the editors pick a cruiser or a touring bike, the squids squawk. They pick an off-road bike, the street riders have a fit.

I would suggest to anyone inclined to dis the new Gold Wing simply because it is NOT the kind of bike that they ride go out and test ride one. I ride a CBR600F4i, but I had a chance to take a '01 Wing for a spin at a recent group ride, and I have to say I was totally impressed. No, it would not be my choice for my daily riding (commute to work on winding roads through wooded rural areas). But I'd pick it over my F4i if I wanted to spend more than a day on the road, and I wanted to take a passenger, and I wanted to take some clothes and camping gear. The handling is light and intuitive once you're past parking lot speeds, and you get past parking lot speeds in a serious hurry. The thing pulls like a train. This is not your father's Oldsmobile.

I surely agree with the Motorcyclist editors that Honda made a MAJOR gamble with this bike. By giving it a sharper edge, stiffer frame, better handling, more horses and a contemporary look, they have probably alienated a lot of the Gold Wing faithful (who, as they age, would probably have preferred something softer). But what Honda has managed to do with this bike is to prove that touring doesn't have to be for elderly, overweight retired couples in matching outfits with dozens of ride pins stuck in them. I personally can't afford a Gold Wing, but if I could, I'd buy one and take off for a couple weeks and discover America.

BTW, I'm 41, in great shape, and have ridden nothing but fast, unforgiving bikes my entire riding career (18 years). Seriously, if you don't take a test ride, there's no way for you to know what's special about this bike.

Besides, Nicky likes it.
Quahaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 11:49 AM   #7
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Works for me

It's too big for me, but I think it's a stunning execution of it's mission. The bike is intended for two-up touring, and that's the context in which it should be evaluated.

I can't think of another bike that was more of an extension/achievement in it's class during the past year. Maybe next year it will be the VROD. Again, not my cup of tea, but a major innovation/accomplishment in the cruiser genre.

desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 11:55 AM   #8
gonevifferin
Founding Member

Don't get me wrong, I actually think the Gold Wing is an excellent motorcycle for what it's intended to be. But the Civic actually has a smaller engine and cost less even when you add the CD and the wood grain dash.
gonevifferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 12:10 PM   #9
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default With the trailers you see most of 'em pulling...

the GW should be in a comparo with Kenworth, Peterbilt & Freightliner for Tractor of the Year.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 12:27 PM   #10
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Test ride?

I've never found any Honda dealer remotely interested in offering me a test ride on one of their appliances from Marysville. You buy it and then see if you like it. Yeah right. But I walk into a Ducati dealer and they practically manhandle me onto a five-figure Italian work of moto-art and tell me don't bring it back 'til I've had plenty of fun on it. IF Honda bribes enough magazines with their advertising budget they're sure to get enough good press people will buy them because, well, it's a Honda. I'll pass on the GW and other 2-wheeled Lexi of her ilk, thanks.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote