Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 07-11-2001, 01:23 PM   #61
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Re: NAS=Never At Showrooms

Yup and most Blast owners ditched that POS mufler ASAP.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2001, 01:32 PM   #62
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Re: I have a real problem with the single-sided front suspen

The concept of a singe sided fork (can you call it a fork) is just not something I can trust. Canondale has had problems with it and that's just on a mountainbike. Tire wear on single sided swingarms is the reason that many race bike are changing back to a more standard one.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 01:35 PM   #63
eljefe
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals NAS

yeah, but does it transform into a robot?

eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 01:44 PM   #64
dormouse
Founding Member

If the front axle pulls out then the wheel and rotor could be lifted straight up off the calipers.

It still appears that you would need to remove the fender though.
dormouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 01:44 PM   #65
eljefe
Founding Member

Default sv650 sounds better than a ducati?!?!

I was with ya right up until you said your SV 650 sounds better than a Ducati. I have a TL 1000S with a full Yosh system on it, and that sounds good, but nothing can compare to the sweet music of a 996 at full tilt boogie. And of course its easier to steer. It doesn't have clip-ons! oh well. I'm gonna climb off my soap box and go ride.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 02:27 PM   #66
MaxxPower
Founding Member

Why is it that I have to read a Brittish publication to get the story on what is going on here in CA in motorcycles?

NAS has a RC-51 VTR 1000 engine in it. It will not be the next SV.

The NAS will go for around $20K. It will not be the next Monster.

The exhaust cannister is only an exhaust pipe of sorts. It has a small hole for gas to escape from, it will not accept any current after market mods.

NAS will be produced in limited numbers. You will not find them easy to come by (R7, 996R, MHe 900...)

Further inquiries should be directed to Motorcylcenews.com
MaxxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 02:55 PM   #67
Grover
Founding Member

Actually... I wonder (Britten) where Tul-aris got the (Britten) idea for an underseat (Britten) radiator?? And as for an underseat radiator and exhaust on the same bike, guess what other bike did that also. I've got a great pic of it with all the bodywork removed if anyone wants proof.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 03:09 PM   #68
Grover
Founding Member

And one more thing... Since everyone else spouted off about their favorite brand let me just say that the Britten was a TRULY revolutionary and forward thinking bike. This thing is merely a styling exersize.

It had the baddest front end ever made with its carbon fibre forks linked to an automotive style double wishbone suspension with spherical bearings. It has no real frame to speak of as the front suspension is basically bolted to the front head of the 60 degree V-twin and the swingarm is bolted to the tranny. As previously mentioned the rider pretty much sits on the radiator, a little carbon fibre tunnel is all that seperates his can from the fins and tubes. The rear shock is located IN FRONT OF the FRONT cylinder via a super trick linkage that runs through a channel in the oil pan, and even the cam belt covers are carbon fibre for chri$t-sake.

If anyone cares to argue that development of this bike (NAS) even approaches requiring the amount of engineering prowess required to design and build the Britten I'll be glad to hear your futile arguements.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 03:54 PM   #69
minime
Founding Member

MaxxPower -

Don't jump to conlusions there, buddy. They got whatever info they have from us (I know this because I sent it to them. We occasionally help each other out) and they embellished the rest. Like the part about the bike being sold in limited quantities at a high price -- that's absolutely not true. And of course the motor is VTR-based. What other kick-arse V-twin does Honda have easy access to?

A number of reliable sources here in at Honda US (the bike was made from scratch at Honda's Torrance, CA facility -- about two miles from MO's offices) have pointed out that it was only a design exercise. The survey that was (and still is) being conducted is to find out which elements of the bike the general public finds most appealing so those elements can (not will) be used on future production models.

Also realize this: They have nothing to lose by embellishing on things at this point. They posted something on their site yesterday (whose embargo date is still in the future) and burned one very significant manufacturer in the process. They are quickly losing credibility in the world-wide press because of things such as this.

Remember, just because they (or any of us, admittedly) say it's so, does not mean it is.

-- Minime
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 06:04 PM   #70
shdwace
Founding Member

What a stunning bike.I am thinking overkill almost

n yet it does have excellent symetry.The lines are excellent,probably have a different opinion seeing it in person.

I wont wait in line,my next ride will be a VTX.For the money n the use intended it fits me fine.

For a serious collector this NAS could rake in some money for ya.

ShdwAce
shdwace is offline   Reply With Quote