Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 07-11-2001, 07:55 AM   #51
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Oh, just stop it...

I was only refering to BMW's in the context of single-sided swingarms. Shaftdrive is great, but it has no place on sportbikes- too much unsprung mass and too dificult to change final drive ratios.

I was making a point that Ducati copies Honda and other Japanese manufacturers as much as they copy Ducati. BMW is out of the equation because they build an entirely different animal. Whatever they make, it ain't a sportbike, not in the traditional sense.

I'm sorry if I offended your pro-BMW sensibilities. But before the 90's, BMW was not what you would call "innovative". Original, sure. But not cutting edge, even in the 80's.

As far as the Paris-Dakar race goes, even Harley-Davidson could win that if they threw the kind of money at it that BMW does. Plus, the bikes they run in that event have very, very, very little to do with the overweight beasts you can drop 13 large on.

KTM, on the other hand, dominates that rally with practically stock bikes that are cheaper than the F650! And Honda (and all the other japanese manufacturers) win AMA events with practically box-stock bikes. I'd love to see a lightly modified R1100R even QUALIFY at an AMA roadrace.

In any case, I used to ride a R100S, pretty fast, might I add. So just fire up a stogie and relax.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2001, 07:59 AM   #52
Gabe
Registered Member

Default They build them...

Because there are plenty of us who CAN ride them fast, on the street or track, and you can stop worrying about us now, m'kay?

Old 07-11-2001, 08:02 AM   #53
Gabe
Registered Member

Default They'll never build it...

And you know it. Too bad, though...

Old 07-11-2001, 08:05 AM   #54
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Thanks!

Right you are- I couldn't remeber the right number. It had this huge silver drop tank mounted underneath.

Old 07-11-2001, 08:36 AM   #55
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda NAS

Better looking?? To each his own, but the front end looks silly and the styling is by hot wheels. Which isn't necessarilly a bad thing, but it makes the brutale look serious and tough by comparison. An aluminum frame with what is obviously a semi-arbitrarily chosen shape is never going to look as good as a real steel trellis frame. How serious can that front end be if conventional swingarms are already superior to single sided swingarms. I'd don't care if it's the absolute fastest/best, but if it's going to be a way out new design it should be for more than styling. If it was an actual swingarm on the front with hub steering it would've been cool. Also, the standard version of the brutale is supposed to cost 15,000. I still don't see the point, but I'd definitely have to take it over this honda, unless this thing can at least best an RC-51 by a decent margin.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 09:14 AM   #56
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Under the seat exhaust

Headers that are exiting the exhaust ports are MUCH MUCH HOTTER than carbon or titanium exhaust cans. Guess what a "standard" front mounted radiator is right next to.....
Old 07-11-2001, 09:48 AM   #57
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: NAS=Never At Showrooms

Man, I am more and more impressed with the esoteric knowledge of machinery her every passing day. Some one else knows what a B-58 was and how cool it looked? Firt a Gilera Cx-125, now this. I'm so happy...

=)

The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 10:55 AM   #58
Arch
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals NAS

Question #1: What could possibly cause anyone to compare this cool scoot to a 996? Or did you mean to say a 996 with the bodywork removed.

Question #2: What "996 replacement spy photos"? Lets see 'em.

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 10:56 AM   #59
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default I have a real problem with the single-sided front suspension

I believe it is the future of motorcycling, but i think Honda built it wrong. Think you can just unbolt the front tire and pop it off? think again - the brake rotor is bolted to the rim, and the calipers are bolted to the shock arm(for lack of a better word). so to take off that wheel you need to disassemble the brakes. no thankyou. and i wonder (tul-aris) where honda got the (tul-aris) idea for an underseat (tul-aris) radiator??

By the way, the FN-1 1500 concept bike first showcases Honda's version of single-sided front suspension in 1996.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 11:00 AM   #60
robby
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda NAS

This obviously is some sort of freakish combination of Sachs, Buell, and that Ducati that was sold over the net. Even if you like the way it looks, think about functionality. What looks to be a super bike with practically no fairing. Very safe, I'm sure.
robby is offline   Reply With Quote