Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   Honda Reveals NAS (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/741-honda-reveals-nas.html)

lazy1 07-11-2001 06:51 AM

Re: Honda Reveals NAS

beautiful concept bike! yum!! but instead of another concept, honda needs to show us what they're going to put up against the 1200 bandit and the FZ1....where's your naked bike, Red?

FieryErmine 07-11-2001 06:58 AM

Re: Spoken like a true...clintonian

I'm not sure what anything you've said has to do with Clinton, but I'm pretty sure that none of the bikes in Paris-Dakar would be considered "Sportbikes".

FE

Bat_Matt 07-11-2001 07:10 AM

Under the seat exhaust

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think you can have under the seat exhaust with an under the seat readiator. The point of a radiator is to exchange heat from engine coolant to the atmosphere. Having hot exhaust pipes right there seems counterproductive.

gappy 07-11-2001 07:10 AM

Re: Honda NAS

First of all: "ignorami" is NOT the plural of "ignoramus" (which is a verbal form, meaning "we ignore"). Anyway, I should not judge a bike fan from his knowledge of latin. Yet, the rest of the mail seem to be authored by some gonzo of sorts.
Saying that Italian manufacturers are copying japanese or viceversa is incorrect. There have been lots of technical innovations on both sides, and listing them would take a lot of time and a better historian than me. Also, many "innovations"were actually devised by small manufacurers/inventors (mostly europeans) or in other industries (often aero/astro) and then vulgarized by some large bike manufacturer. The querelle italian vs. japanese is quite silly in my opinion. As for the performance of a Duc, it is better by a factor 3/2 than other production sportbikes, as the previous poster unwittingly admitted. I think it's only slightly more focused ad faster than the competition.

There is one thing were the previous emails seem quite wrong though: strong>styling[/b]. Japanese designers are extremely conservative, both in the auto and the motorcycle industries. Americans and Europeans (Italians, but also Austrians and Germans) are definitely more innovative. Citing the influence of the NR on Ducati is laughable by anyone who has seem an NR. The NAS is heavily influenced both by the raptor (and indirectly by the monster) and by the twin Sachs prototype. The concept of superstylish naked comes from the now defunct Bimota. The tail is borrowed from the MZ1 (a national influence).

Overall, the NAS seems a overdesigned quite a bit. But that's fine with a concept bike.

SeanAlexander 07-11-2001 07:31 AM

Re: NAS=Never At Showrooms

I think he was refering to the Convair B-58 Hustler (four engined supersonic bomber from the late 50s)

SeanAlexander 07-11-2001 07:36 AM

Re: Honda Reveals NAS

Ummmmm.... They build what the market asks for. Don't ask them why.... Ask us (the motorcycle buying public) They are not trying to sell to "more than hals the people" they are probably aiming at 10% of the motorcycle buyers with this bike. Trust me, some of us CAN use what they give us.

NickdaBrick 07-11-2001 07:39 AM

More from Martin Manchester

"As you can see," said Manchester, "Honda has made great strides not only in engineering but in providing employment opportunities for the handicapped. The NAS styling team was headed up by Kent Seenuthin, who is legally blind."

draz 07-11-2001 07:53 AM

Re: More photos

Great picutures. I mentioned in a previous post that I'd like to see it with an underseat exhaust system, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work with the radiator placement. I'm guessing the aftermarket could come up with a Buell-type under the engine set-up. I think that would look preety good.

Also, I'm not sure if I like the air scoops now that I've seen more pictures. I think it might look better, and fit with the less is more theme, without them.

draz 07-11-2001 07:58 AM

Re: Under the seat exhaust & next V-Max?

I just posted a correction to my statement and now saw that you pointed out the mistake in my proposal. I guess it took a little while for the coffee to take effect this morning....

On another note, what do you (the list) think the possibility of the next V-Max looking something like this bike?

Grover 07-11-2001 08:37 AM

Re: NAS=Never At Showrooms

Just one thing, that muffler looks almost exaclty like and is located in the same spot as *gasp* the Buell Blast (aka the B-last). So it's not exactly new.