Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 07-23-2001, 08:01 AM   #101
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Spoken like a true...clintonian

BMW's are not true sport bikes, they are hybrids. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just what they are.
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2001, 07:56 PM   #102
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default Sportbike defintion?

For this particular subject the above negative definition is useless & meaningless ("BMW's are not..."). I hypothesize that there is one or more BMW fully consistent with any defintion for the word "sportbike", unless the definition includes "not BMW" (as the above post states). As I will list at least one BMW fully consistent with any "sportbike" defintion, any definition which arbitrarliy excludes BMW will be shown to be intellectually dishonest, a contradiction of itself, wholly illogical.
spkrplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 08:14 PM   #103
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default HD trounces Honda?

I will likely never own a cruiser. I dislike them in general about as much as anyone. But HD haters strain credibility when using any & every mention of the brand to spout venom. There is no good reason for Japanese loyalists to feel threatened that HD is apparently releasing a power cruiser twin that makes about 21bhp more than Honda's VTX, weighs alot less, & will trounce every currently available cruiser. The motor will hopefully bring respectibility to the Buell marquee.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:56 AM   #104
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default Post agrees BMW is a sportbike

A post which contradicts itself has little credibility. Above post states BMW is not a sportbike, then lists winning an AMA race as the prerequisite. BMW won at Daytona: Reg Pridmore, Daytona in the mid-'70's, tuned by my mechanic, Ken Augustine. Last I heard Daytona is sponsored by the AMA. I posit that I might list one or more BMW consistent with any defintion of sportbike. Maybe the above AMA race occurred before some posters knew motorcycles existed.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:47 PM   #105
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Post agrees BMW is a sportbike

Maybe your an idiot? No...not maybe YOU are! Have they won any AMA superbike class races or 600cc class races in last 15 yrs? No I didn't think so. When you find a BMW that is a true sportbike then bring your candy ass to the track and I'll bring a true sportbike and you can spend the day staring at my tail pipe. Come on get serious. Reg Pridmore is a fantastic rider but lets get serious do you think he or Mr Duhamel (thats miguels father in case you've been living in a cave) could actually keep up with a real sportbike and equally talented rider on board. Let's go one step further, do you think Matt Mladin could win a race on a BMW. We will level the playing field make it compete box stock against any box stock Japenese sportbike...It won't hold water...like your lame theory. Prove to me they make a sportbike...name one that can turn

consistant lap times as a similar sized Japenese sport bike. Your pathetic attempt at pulling one race from the 70's to prove your point proves that your theory is Sh&t! Just in case you haven't been following Daytona too long let me fill you in, Harley

has won the race too, you going to tell me they have a sportbike in thier line up..and don't count buell. The more I look at your post the more I see it for what it really is....a joke. Go flame on some other site, no one needs your crap in here.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:49 PM   #106
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbike defintion?

You just like using big words huh Mr. Spock? I'll put my sportbike up against and BMW sportbike you might own...bring it on.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:29 AM   #107
TorqNut
Founding Member

Default Re: sv650 sounds better than a ducati?!?!

Sorry for the outburst. I'll try again and use small words to match your vocabulary.

I've never seen one... not one that hasn't had MAJOR mechanical problems. Rocker arm facings coming off? CRAP! Sprocket retainers failing? CRAP! Swing arms breaking? Regulators, alternators, oil sensors, neutral sensor, $650 headlight assemblies(2), head studs pulling out of the cases.... all on one machine...

It's nice to have a machine that forces me to go to my mechanic just to chat and not find out how many more weeks it'll take for a part to arrive.

Beautiful bikes? You bet. Probably the most beautiful on the road, when they're on the road. I'll put my "jap" bike against any duc, any day for handling, reliability, ridability, fit and finish and all the other things that really matter (to me).

BTW, you may want to look words up before you use them. Been there, done that, is NOT a euphemism. It seems your synapses have failed you once again.

I'd ride a Harley first....
TorqNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 12:30 PM   #108
ken51
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals NAS

I agree, this is a styling excercise using some extreme ideas. Much of what is in production today is a result of forward technological thinking and 'going out on a limb' styling-wise. Bikes like the R1, RC51 and Mille may not have been so popular many years ago. I think the overall styling of today's sport bikes had to go through that evolution to arrive where it is, and the NAS is trying to advance the evolution yet again. Well, some would say advance, others would say ugly. Sure, but the point is to bring forth ideas, no matter how eccentric or impractical. (Look at the Pontiac Aztek for an (ahem...bad) example. Some modern materials weren't so attainable even five years ago. In 1996, could you even get a pair of Titanium-Nitride coated forks? Now you get them if your credit is good enough for the big GSXR (among others), right off the showroom floor. I think that's pretty cool. Not to mention manufacturing techniques and alloys that make engine castings and wheel castings half the weight and twice the strength they used to be. Since the factories have to develop a product for mass sales, yet raceable by the rulebook, we consumers get some kick-ass equipment. The NAS has some ideas that we might see on production bikes someday, or maybe not. I think it's a great effort (as if I'm qualified to even say) with one oddity; as cool as it looks with no fairing, and should this style of bike ever be developed for racing, how do you make the wind slip over something as un-aerodynamic as the human body? I think Honda is one of the few companies that has spent some serious cash on the R&D of a pure concept bike. I like it.
ken51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 06:09 PM   #109
2s
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda NAS

Hey genius, why is Ducati switching the new 996 to a conventional swingarm?
2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 06:51 PM   #110
2s
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals NAS

I'm not a big fan of Honda's NAS. If Honda was trying to build a bike in its elemental form, the looks of the bike should not make this obvious. From all of the billet stuff to the sculpted swing-arm, it's obvious what Honda was trying to do. While the NAS does hold some advantages over current motorcycles(as long as they were engineered correctly), most were probably meant as sales gimmicks.

My largest complaint is the power plant. When are these manufacturers going to let us have a modern 2 stroke engine in a modern chassis? The technology is there and proven by the marine market.

Anybody that says that they don't like 2strokes but like sportbikes is a hypocrit. They allow the least weight with the most power and therefore the best sportbike.
2s is offline   Reply With Quote