Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 04-30-2001, 04:56 PM   #1
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda CRF450R Reader Feedback

Lightest "big" four stroke ever made, eh? If Honda thinks 450 is "big", they should check out the 235lb. KTM 520 SX...now that's "big".......
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2001, 05:00 PM   #2
RonXX
Founding Member

They need to put that engine in an ATV. I am sick of seeing the best technology go into the comparatively small market of motocross bikes.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 05:06 PM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

And I'm sick of ATVs. ATVs ought to be outlawed. They do nothing but carve up the trails and allow any cretin to ride in the woods.

Pete P.

Old 04-30-2001, 07:49 PM   #4
RKWFXD
Founding Member

Looks pretty nice but until they make it California green sticker friendly and put a kickstand on it I'll keep my XR. I spoke to a buddy of mine the other day who works in a dealership. He said they haven't sold a single Yamaha WR250F. Seems that most people don't race and if you can't ride it year 'round, they (me) would rather buy something else...no matter how great the magazines say it is.
RKWFXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 07:54 PM   #5
BlownAwayIG
Founding Member

Boyz, break out the check book. If this bike is anything near what Rhino raced at the Four Stroke Worlds. Their ain't nothing even close. I was fortunate enough to get with inches of it all day. It sounds like no other 4 stroke out there. KTM 520's not even, YZ 426's not even the trickest baddest of the bunch was even close. It flat ran away from everyone. Looked like a 250 racing in the 80cc class. No JOKE. I realize the true test will come mother's day at Glen Helen, and Unfortunately none of the really super fast BOYZ will be on one, I have a feeling it'll still make a great showing. It's definately the bike of the future and will raise the stakes. Yamaha started something and may still be Top Dog now, but once these hit the sales floor, Yamaha is going to have to Go BIG TIME. Kawasaki can't just wedge a 4 stroke into 10 year old KX Frame, and DRZ's, well they weren't race bike before,,,now they are XR class bikes. KTM, last I checked, $1200-1700 more for theirs than a Fast YZ 426. Not enough bang for the buck there. Wonder why you see 10 YZ 426's to each KTM????
BlownAwayIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 08:01 PM   #6
BlownAwayIG
Founding Member

I wouldn't worry about your green stickers, Better check to see just where you Green sticker money went. Heck, even XR's won't be able to clear green stickers by 2003.
Old 04-30-2001, 08:04 PM   #7
BlownAwayIG
Founding Member

Better check your stats, the biggest part of the ATV market is not High Performance ATV's, It's them slow going 4 wheel drive, can pull up tree stumps, camo'ed out dear stalkers. Can you say farm equip?????
Old 04-30-2001, 08:10 PM   #8
BlownAwayIG
Founding Member

Well, can you say, "BIG BUCKS..." KTM 520 SX is what $7000-$7600. And at Glen Helen anyway, everyone of them got out run by YZ426's. Heck I think a Cannondale even beat em...Hey I love KTM's too, and for a while they set the standard, But unless you seen this Honda run...I did, at least the Pre-Pro version,,,and for a fragile unfinished bike, It was BAD...
Old 05-01-2001, 03:11 AM   #9
Chester
Founding Member

Thats great, too bad the two stroke is going to be dead in a few years tho. I like four strokes and two strokes, but four stroke mx bikes just arent the same. 426s sound like Harley motors cut in half.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:27 AM   #10
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Side effect

All this four stroke stuff is good and great and super and all that, but you sure have to pay for it. A YZ250F costs almost as much as a YZ250. All it really seems to do is drive up the price of dirt bikes. Six or seven years from now, after all MX bikes are 4-stroke, and the cheapest 125 is $7500, somebody will come out with a $6000 2-stroke that makes 80HP out of the box, and back to 2-strokes we'll go.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote