Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 03-23-2001, 09:20 AM   #1
gerrygrande
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Receives Awards

It always gets me how these bikes are awarded these honors before the consumer even has a chance to obtain and test one himself. I think the bikes should be made available for the consumer to decide before some marketing sales type try to influence the buyer into possibly purchasing something he or she may not want.
gerrygrande is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2001, 09:51 AM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

>>"before some marketing sales type try to influence the buyer into possibly purchasing something he or she may not want"<<

Ummmm... what are "Marketing Sales" types supposed to be doing?
Old 03-23-2001, 09:57 AM   #3
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

That is what they are supposed to do, but I think there was another point being made. The problem was when the ONLY input the consumer gets comes from the "marketing types", you can rest assured you know little about a bike. It makes sense for the manufaturer to sell a few of these things before someone objective gets their hands on them and lets the public know a different (less-than-perfect) perspective.
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 10:07 AM   #4
hdpetey
Founding Member

They did the same thing with the Polaris then the consumers got a hold of it, I mean very few got a hold of it, and ripped its tranny and other items. I agree let those who ride decide.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 11:13 AM   #5
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Hmmm.... lets see....

"Honda's GL1800 Gold Wing received Rider magazine's 2001 Motorcycle of the Year Award. Mark Tuttle, Senior Editor at Rider, noted that the new Gold Wing redefined motorcycle touring by providing the performance of a sport touring motorcycle with the comfort expected of a luxury tourer."

I don't think so. Will it hang with the mid-eighties design of the (still produced) Kawasaki Concours, let alone any NEWER sport-tourers? Heck no. Lets call apples, apples and oranges, oranges, shall we?
Old 03-23-2001, 11:52 AM   #6
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Good point, CBR! Sport touring... those guys must be smokin something. My 89 Mazda pick-up is thus the most amazing sport tourer as it can 'tour' to the twisties hauling my GSXR.

(to avoid flameage... I never haul my bike - I ride the thing there eventhough by back bum and shoulders revolt... unless it's got a broken 2nd gear.. hypothetically)

Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:30 PM   #7
Z1R
Founding Member

Whats a honda?
Z1R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:48 PM   #8
v4bryan
Registered Member

I haven't checked the numbers, and I haven't taken the 1800 for a test ride, but I would've expected these two bikes to be fairly close- considering the reviews the new Leadwing has been getting. If you wanted to put the GL to shame, shouldn't you have compared it to an ST1100 or R1100RT, instead of a bike whose most redeeming quality is that it's affordable?
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:07 PM   #9
Shaft
Founding Member

What's a Z1R?
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:11 PM   #10
CBR1000F
Founding Member

C'mon... you just made my point for me. It won't hang with the Concours in acceleration, top end, braking and cornering... And the Concours is OLD. Newer sport tourers are even better. Why embarass it by trying to compare it? It has a totally different function in life, which is touring, without the "sport" modifier.