Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   Honda Receives Awards (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/439-honda-receives-awards.html)

gerrygrande 03-23-2001 08:20 AM

Re: Honda Receives Awards

It always gets me how these bikes are awarded these honors before the consumer even has a chance to obtain and test one himself. I think the bikes should be made available for the consumer to decide before some marketing sales type try to influence the buyer into possibly purchasing something he or she may not want.

SeanAlexander 03-23-2001 08:51 AM

>>"before some marketing sales type try to influence the buyer into possibly purchasing something he or she may not want"<<

Ummmm... what are "Marketing Sales" types supposed to be doing?

dirtybmxr 03-23-2001 08:57 AM

That is what they are supposed to do, but I think there was another point being made. The problem was when the ONLY input the consumer gets comes from the "marketing types", you can rest assured you know little about a bike. It makes sense for the manufaturer to sell a few of these things before someone objective gets their hands on them and lets the public know a different (less-than-perfect) perspective.

hdpetey 03-23-2001 09:07 AM

They did the same thing with the Polaris then the consumers got a hold of it, I mean very few got a hold of it, and ripped its tranny and other items. I agree let those who ride decide.

CBR1000F 03-23-2001 10:13 AM

Hmmm.... lets see....

"Honda's GL1800 Gold Wing received Rider magazine's 2001 Motorcycle of the Year Award. Mark Tuttle, Senior Editor at Rider, noted that the new Gold Wing redefined motorcycle touring by providing the performance of a sport touring motorcycle with the comfort expected of a luxury tourer."

I don't think so. Will it hang with the mid-eighties design of the (still produced) Kawasaki Concours, let alone any NEWER sport-tourers? Heck no. Lets call apples, apples and oranges, oranges, shall we?

Gixxerboy 03-23-2001 10:52 AM

Good point, CBR! Sport touring... those guys must be smokin something. My 89 Mazda pick-up is thus the most amazing sport tourer as it can 'tour' to the twisties hauling my GSXR.

(to avoid flameage... I never haul my bike - I ride the thing there eventhough by back bum and shoulders revolt... unless it's got a broken 2nd gear.. hypothetically)

Z1R 03-23-2001 11:30 AM

Whats a honda?

v4bryan 03-23-2001 11:48 AM

I haven't checked the numbers, and I haven't taken the 1800 for a test ride, but I would've expected these two bikes to be fairly close- considering the reviews the new Leadwing has been getting. If you wanted to put the GL to shame, shouldn't you have compared it to an ST1100 or R1100RT, instead of a bike whose most redeeming quality is that it's affordable?

Shaft 03-23-2001 12:07 PM

What's a Z1R?

CBR1000F 03-23-2001 12:11 PM

C'mon... you just made my point for me. It won't hang with the Concours in acceleration, top end, braking and cornering... And the Concours is OLD. Newer sport tourers are even better. Why embarass it by trying to compare it? It has a totally different function in life, which is touring, without the "sport" modifier.