Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 03-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #31
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe when pigs fly

Or the Ascot!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #32
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: They have sold this in the UK for a while...

That would be nice, but something like this is desperately needed here in the USA. When I was starting-out circa ~'82 on my first "real" motorcycle (a '71 CL100), all I had to choose from in the "beginner category" were dirtbikes and older, used motos (which is what I chose).

I would have killed you for this bike, back then. (or at least caused serious injury, or maybe gotten my ass kicked trying......... ;^D )
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #33
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda Canada Offering New 125 cc CBR

Yep, I remember those days. Some of my buds had brand new 1986 CB125's and I got a '73 CB 350F. I had the quickest thing at school (yes, it was a small school in the '80's) for months. One guy had a Suzuki 850 3 cyinder, and we were matched up to about 80. Then he would pull away When the 350 motor gave out, my dad and I put swapped in a 400F motor with (relatively) big-bore(439cc or close to that) racing pistons in. It seemed much more powerful than before, but first 250 Ninja I ran with matched me to 100 (we were both pegged at about 105-110). and then he left me like I was in reverse when the first corner came up. I hit the brakes hard to set up the chassis for a corner, I think he pegged the throttle instead. He left me like I was in reverse after that first corner.

The 250 Ninja was wild looking - I found a pic here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/submi...ja-MartinO.jpg

I really liked that little Ninja, so much that 4 years later when I had a Ninja 750 as my main transportation I bought a 1986 250 Ninja. I fitted some slip-on's for a little bark (ok, it was still a small bark!), and I rode it hard everywhere.

My 750 (a good 50-75 lbs heavier than today's 600's), needed careful input around tight corners, the 250 just went. It really felt more like the road was straightening out under me rather than me carving through it.

It was a blast in town, too. I could wring it out through 2 or 3 gears without making myself a ticket magnet. The 750 needed much larger spaces.

I can imagine what a blast a modern 250 sportbike could be. Imagine 20,000 rpm and tiny little pistons SCREAMING... yet soft enough that a newbie wouldn't get scared until 15,000 rpm.

Use the same marketing campaign they have for the CBR125 in Canada, combine it with a 250 screamer and I think there'd be a lot of new riders.

Maybe a Korean or Chinese maker will step up to the plate??
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #34
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

What'll the dealer make on 'em? If there isn't enough margin it's not gonna happen. Look at what most dealers try to sell now. Their not interested in developing a base, their looking to meet this quarter.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #35
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Good God, don't I know it. Luckily for her she just got pregnant, otherwise she'd have to go use that brand new law degree we have tons of debt from. It's never going to happen now.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #36
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Killed?

Me, too. Instead, I put off moving into streetbikes for almost twenty years.

I remember drooling over the specs of the Kawi GPz305... even though I really wanted a CB900F, just like everyone else

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #37
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ditto. Wasn't the Ascot a 500? In the early 80's Honda had it down (CR480, Ascot, XL600, etc).
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #38
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Me too. Never wnt over that big in THE US of A.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #39
ewok1
Founding Member

Default hero honda

it looks better than a hero honda and those things can carry up to families of four. i expect for around town it would be perfect. 125 sounds about right to me. stay off the freeway, give it some real pedals for when you don't have gas money and letter rip. or putt.

I wonder if someday soon we wil all try to live within a few miles of work and could use exactly this to get around. does it come in diesel?
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #40
gforces
Founding Member

They shouldn't stop at offering gear. Start a one-make race series for it. The aftermarket will provide the rest and voila! a trend begins. This bike is small enough that you could organize races at any go-kart track.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote