Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   The Best Motorcycle Ever! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/4012-best-motorcycle-ever.html)

mjs 10-21-2006 04:50 AM

Re: The Best Motorcycle Ever!

Thanks, I laughed until I cried. They really were great at what they did.

I never owned a Honda Cub but wish that I could buy a new one today.

Best bike ever, no. But they probably created more smiles than any other.

bigjames 10-21-2006 05:10 AM

Gee, the ad says "You meet the nicest people on a Honda.".

What happened? ;-)

gbrummett 10-21-2006 05:14 AM

It should have read Most Sold!

At over 50 million sold throughout the world you should have titled it [b]"Most Motorcycles of any kind sold, the Honda Cub"[b]

seruzawa 10-21-2006 07:07 AM

Yep. My first bike was a 1962 Honda 50 Cub. Of course I immediately got rid of the stupid fairing since it reduced the top speed from 45mph to about 38mph. And the front brake was about useless. All it ever needed was a new piston about every 9 months since I had to ride it at wide open throttle every second. And it still got 125 mpg. That's good since the fuel tank only held .8 gallons. Still it took me all over Torrance, Palos Verdes, Redondo, etc for three years at which time I sold it when I went into the Navy.

Definitely the 90 is a better idea since the couple extra horsepower makes a heck of a lot of difference.

You see these all over Asia. I've still got some old photos of entire families riding on these things in Danang in '68. The Vn "Cowboys" (the youth gangs that ran the country) preferred the S90 style 50cc mopeds over the step-through Cubs. I guess back then a Vn civilian had to be rich to own a Honda 90. Occasionally we'd see someone on a CL90 but 99% of the bikes were Cubs and Mopeds.

xlr8r 10-21-2006 08:42 AM

One in three of all the motorcycles ever made is a Honda, and over half their total production since they began in 1948 has been Cubs. Therefore one in six of all the motorcycles ever made...is a Cub.

They also carry more than their own weight in payload, which few other bikes do; there's something neat about that.

The_AirHawk 10-21-2006 08:53 AM

I've seen pics of an entire factory floor covered in those fairings - all stacked vertically, like soldiers waiting to go to war........

Kind of creepy, actually.

mikenomad 10-21-2006 10:02 AM

We used to refer to the fairing on a Honda 50 as "chaps" as in what cowboys wore in the Westerns we watched while growing up in the fifties.

mikenomad 10-21-2006 10:05 AM

Re: Stupid Cub Tricks

Nobody ever performed a stoppie on a Honda 50, but if you wound it all the way out in first gear and yanked the bars as you kicked it into second, you could loft the wheel for a few feet.

Mike_Dirt 10-21-2006 04:31 PM

This video brought back memories that had sat dormant in my mind for more than 30 years - thankyou.

I was 16 years old (I'm now 55) when I won a ex-postman's 50cc Honda motorcycle - it was my first bike. Little did I know then, that this was the beginning of an eduring love affair with motorcycles. I have had more than 20 bikes to date, ranging in size from 50-1000cc. Currently, I ride a Honda NSR 150 SP. Don't laugh, this model used to do well in the 125 class at the Moto GP, and its light weight, make it a joy for city riding.

Thanks again for triggering some great boyhood memories.

Mike.

Gritboy 10-21-2006 04:38 PM

What a hoot down memory lane. While I never road the Cub 50, I road a Honda Trail 90 (descendant of the Cub 90) in my formative years on our ranch for chores, hunting, etc., and it never failed. Sadly, it rusted away from years of salted roads during the spring thaw, but man did that thing take a lickin'. Simple, fun and indestructible are definitely true, but stylish and powerful are not.