Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-21-2001, 02:16 PM   #21
Sketch
Founding Member

Default Re: Another Mission: Honda VTX 1800

Did anything change from the prototype (Honda called it a prototype) to the production version?

Any plans for aftermarket addons, kits, etc? (Ex. Yamaha hit the spot with the Road Star as far as delivering a customization platform.)

Quarter mile time?

When are they going to redesign those bulky radiators? Think out of the box you Honda engineers. There must be all kinds of ways to hide a radiator or at least make it more stealthy.

Does it still have the big chromed log exhaust pipe?

How many colors will it be available in? Black and blue?

IMHO their engines have the aesthetic appeal of an air compressor. Honda just misses the boat when it comes to cruisers. Their engineering is great but their attention to detail and style just doesn't cut it. That is a lot of what a cruiser is IMHO.

Sketch

Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2001, 03:48 PM   #22
jeepers
Founding Member

does it make a real "potato - potato" sound?
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 04:15 PM   #23
hondabill
Founding Member

The rumor that I hear is that the Valkyrie will soon be history. The VTX is it's replacement. The new Gold Wing platform does not lend itself to a cruiser style. And, of course, the Valkyrie engine is not being put into Gold Wings anymore. Honda also is rumored to have more models based on the new VTX engine.
hondabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 04:24 PM   #24
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: You need a Guzzi

I you need a cruiser that handles the curves AND LOOKS GOOD, the Guzzi is NOT for you...
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 06:05 PM   #25
schillhog
Founding Member

I've heard that too, and hope it's not true. That would be such a mistake, since Honda scored big points with the cruiser crowd with the Valkyrie: a big, bold, performing, NON-Harley clone.

I, too, drool at the idea that the VTX promises, and want one of my Honda buddies to buy one so I can tromp on it.

AFTER he rides my Road King, of course.

I like seeing the big dogs fighting out there for cruiser spotlight. Yeah, HD will always be coolest IMHO, but they have always been best when the flame is on their butt, from Indian (once-upon-a-time), to Honda et. al. now.
schillhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 02:43 AM   #26
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Just looking at it should tell you the answer to that...

it will be functional and functioning *as* a cruiser, like all the rest of 'em. Check the pics: wheelbase, geometry, clearance etc. Nuff said. IF you like what big-twin Harleys and/or blatent shameless imitators have to offer *but* you insist on being able to go around curves at a pace more than just "brisk" then you'll still have to own two bikes. I think the VTX is one of the nicer bikes to come along in its genre (i.e. blatent shameless HD ripoffs) but don't dump that beemer too quick!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:30 AM   #27
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default IF the rider eats enough sweet potatoes, yes. n/t

LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 08:10 AM   #28
hoyt
Founding Member

Default Re: You mean a BMW

Sounds like you want a cruiser that's won a couple of design awards. Laid back but handles well and looks like nothing else. You want an R1200C, my friend
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 11:44 PM   #29
Sketch
Founding Member

Default Probably more of a 'tomato tomato' sound.

Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 12:36 AM   #30
ironmike
Founding Member

Default According to the buzzzz...

...not much different from the displayed prototype; minimal accessories for the moment; estimated low 13s, maybe high to mid 12s/quarter (remember it is only about 130+ # lighter than the GL1800, at maybe 100/100 rear wheel hp/tq - and that may be slightly optimistic... Hopefully, MO will have some real world numbers for us); no known planned re-design for the radiator system; chrome is home on the exhaust collector; and the offered color selection will be very spare for the first production run, but sources claim that at least red and yellow are mid-summer potentials... all data unconfirmed and subject to plausible deniability...
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote