Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-21-2001, 11:48 AM   #11
Haru
Founding Member

Default Re: Another Mission: Honda VTX 1800

Screw the VTX. I have no liking for any V Twin that isn't 90°. What I want to see is a new valykrie based on the GL1800. I want it to have the Wing's gorgeoous frame as well, and I want that lovely engine and that lovely frame exposed for all to see and admire.

quite frankly, Vtwin cruisers with tear drop tanks and oddles of chrome have gotten old. Thousands and thousands of look alike cruisers have bumbled the highways for decades. Lets see something that combines the laid back attitude of the cruiser with a look and style that celebrates engineering and the future, instead of hashing out the H-D clone formula ad nauseum.

About the only retro cruiser that will get my attention is one that carries an inline four engine longitudanally.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2001, 11:55 AM   #12
DougW
Founding Member

Glad it's you riding that thing instead of me.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:08 PM   #13
AzizaVFR
Founding Member

Depending on how much time you have, compare the VTX to the current Magna and Valkerie. I have owned a '94 Magna, and after putting over 65,000 miles on it, I know how well the Magna handles and makes its power. It took the Valkerie, with twice the engine displacement to out-accelerate the tiny 750cc Magna. When it came to the turning, the VF750 sent the Valkerie looking for another route.

I am looking for another power-cruiser, and I want to know it this bike will deliver. BTW, you like teasing the masses with these little "commericals" of what is up and coming. Keep up the good work.

Enjoy,

AzizaVFR
AzizaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:23 PM   #14
starvingstudent
Founding Member

"What I want to see is a new valykrie based on the GL1800."

--Aesthetically working an aluminum twin-spar frame and side-mounted radiators onto a cruiser would be an exercise in ingenuity, to say the least.

"About the only retro cruiser that will get my attention is one that carries an inline four engine longitudanally."

--They sell one in Scotland under the badge Indian (it's a replica of the old Indian 4, an inline-4-longitudinal cruiser). It can't be sold in the US because Indian USA (the ones who use the C&C motor) have copyrighted the name.

"Lets see something that combines the laid back attitude of the cruiser with a look and style that celebrates engineering and the future, instead of hashing out the H-D clone formula ad nauseum."

--You mean the BMW R1200C Euro?

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:24 PM   #15
AcesN8s
Founding Member

Let us know if it lives up to Honda's claim.

"Honda says their Vanguard V-twin features "unequaled acceleration and roll-on performance" with a muscular feel that's not vibration-prone thanks to an offset dual-pin crankshaft with two primary-shaft-mounted balance weights."

Unequaled acceleration to what? Now we all know that they're refering to other Cruisers and not sportbikes.

Is it too big to turn easily at low speeds, or in a parking lot?

You know everyday practical stuff.

AcesN8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:31 PM   #16
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default The bad boy.....

This is the first non-sportbike that I have ever looked at and said "dude, that's the bad boy right there...." If I had the money, the VTX would become my second bike, bar none. Upside down fork on a cruiser? Phat. Cartoon-like engine size? Sweet. Giant rear tire and fat chrome pipe? Nice. This is the kind of bike you take to go pick up your betty and cruise down the midway to Porky's on a warm July saturday night with t-shirts, jeans, and no helmets (those of you that live in Minneapolis know what I'm talking about.) Paradise. That bike is "the bad boy."
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:59 PM   #17
lanesplitter
Founding Member

Default Re: The bad boy.....

Yeah,.....what he said.
lanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 01:52 PM   #18
Lunatic
Founding Member

Default You need a Guzzi

If ya need a cruiser that can handle the curves, a Moto Guzzi would suit you nicely.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 01:55 PM   #19
Lunatic
Founding Member

Default If it weren't for the fake fins

Great bike, does it all well, except . . .fake fins. What is so wrong about having nice smooth polished jugs on a liquid cooled engine? whats with the fake fins? Changes an otherwise awe-inspiring bike into just another wannabe.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:59 PM   #20
Lunatic
Founding Member

Default YOu make some excellent points

the thing I notice most is, what the consumers SAy they want, and what they buy when offered to them , are not the same. For all the statements of wanting different, Moto Guzzi, BMW, and Victory are not flying off the sales floor. Meanwhile, I hafta uncrate another half dozen wannabe-Suzuki's to keep up with demand. Sell em what they'll buy, not what they say they want.