Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   Honda set to unveil 10 new models in India. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/3200-honda-set-unveil-10-new-models-india.html)

tokoloshgolem 12-21-2005 02:09 PM

Re: Honda set to unveil 10 new models in India.

Sigh ... No wonder people make fun of Americans' ignorance of geography. ASEAN = Association of Southeast Asian Nations

yoavy11 12-21-2005 02:43 PM

Takashi Kajikawa president of Yamaha Motor:

"ItÂ’s not like the old days when young Japanese boys joined biker gangs. It wasnÂ’t so good for the public image but it was good for sales," he says. "Nowadays, their mothers think itÂ’s too dangerous and forbid their sons to buy bikes. And anyway, youngsters would prefer to stay in and play on their computers."

So the company is eyeing serious profits from its recent move into high-tech motorised wheelchairs for the elderly.

Read the rest:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...936444,00.html

Haird 12-21-2005 04:25 PM

Re: The Isle of Asea

Nice racist (not to mention ignorant) comments on this thread. Perhaps its time for some moderation of this site.

maladg 12-22-2005 03:36 AM

It will be interesting to see how these emerging markets affect consumer items. Vindaloo Runpet 600? HotCurryHyabusa?

Seriously, interesting times await us. I'm betting on a lot more good than bad, too.

christian_gates 12-22-2005 03:54 AM

"Woo woo woo woo woo (that's a siren sound effect, there) - here comes the thought police - woo woo woo woo! Chief Investigator Haird on the scene. What have we here, letter-substitution potty humor? Clap 'em in irons - it's the dock and the gallows for you, my boys."

Good lord. There's nothing racist about a play on words with place names. That's just stupid. Not as stupid, however, as your call for "moderation" or, as I like to call it in cases like this, censorship.

I'm sure that we can all come up with plenty of racist commentary, but "West Undies" doesn't quite fill the bill.

Retard.

cdg

christian_gates 12-22-2005 03:59 AM

Oh it's not ignorance, it's the fun of being able to trot out juvenile bathroom humor. Very different. Also, technically, ASEAN isn't a geography, but a trading / political organization, even though the organization is geographically-focused.

I agree that West Undies was a spurious inclusion, but it's funny enough, and the West Indies have been kind of linked in Western thought with Asia pretty much since 1492 or so.

anrajala 12-22-2005 05:53 AM

Hairdo is irritable only because he´s not getting any from his boyfriend. I think we should understand this little problem.

- cruiz-euro

svtech 12-22-2005 09:01 AM

Wrong.

Moderation stiffles communication and, hence, the exchange of knowledge.

What might be helpful here from time to time is a purging of posters who play the race card while wearing a clown suit with an Asean stain.

Ya got to go with the flow.

If this is too deep for you, maybe jb can explain a little better. Rumor has it that he came out smelling like a rose.

mikenomad 12-22-2005 08:21 PM

Re: American Ignorance

tokoloshgolem,

The problem here is not geography, it's sloppy journalism. Acronyms are supposed to be written in all caps (in this case, ASEAN) so as not to be mistaken as misspellings of other words (in this case, "Asia").

svtech 12-23-2005 07:55 AM

Re: American Ignorance

My point, although I took the scatologic route to get there. Its just some more of that "geography" stuff, don't you know?

Note that the acronym also was not explained correctly on the source posting.

God forgive if MO ever publishes an article discussing the impact of NAFTA (or worse, Nafta) on the inport and availability of bikes from Japan in the United States and Canada without at least a definition and, perhaps, a note of explanation.

With maybe an exception or two...

Thanks, MOFO's

svtech/svtech