Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-08-2001, 11:21 AM   #21
Chester
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR929 Clutch Baskets

I think its great manufacturers keep prices down, but something this obvious is stupid. Cheap clutch baskets either break soon like these Fireblades, or they wear down after extended use. I had a 91 Banshee that had grooves in the clutch basket so bad the clutch stopped working. Of course Yamaha knew by 91 that this was a problem in high hour Banshees, but chose to screw consumers by continuing to put cheap aluminum baskets in the bikes and forcing me, personally, to buy a Hinson at a cost of around $180. I know Yamaha did it just to screw me, as was the whole Cold War a scheme to hurt me. Then when I tried to get that big ass bolt off the crank, boy, that was a pain in my crapper. Jeez, I would be willing to pay an extra $500 for a bike I knew came with a billet basket, and a few other odds and ends known to wear after high usage. Like the 2000 GSXR600 has super cheesy valve retainers made of junky pot metal or something, give me some titanium or billet ones, not melted down matchbox cars. Jerks.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2001, 11:44 AM   #22
Chester
Founding Member

Default Re: Replacement doesn

I agree with my buddy hamatsu. Suzuki takes alot of from everyone, but the other bikes have problems too. I read somewhere about the 929 transmissions getting alittle chewed up after a few races, getting real notchy and stuff. And Yamaha had a clutch basket recall on the R1 not so long ago. And whats the deal with the oil level thing in the ZX12? Jeez, that sounds alittle hoaky.

The only bikes I have seen that are super high performance but are infallable(sp?), are Harleys and Buells. 175 rwhp from a stock 883 Sportster and no problems or recalls, maybe the Japanese could learn from them.
Old 02-09-2001, 09:43 AM   #23
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR929 Clutch Baskets

Humm, could it possibly be the "way you ride" your TLS1000?? I ride a 21 year old GS1100E Suzuki, it's got 50,000 miles and I finally replaced the clutch and basket at 46,000, not that it was totally worn out but since I decided to keep it till 2005, decided to have it done.

I've had Yamaha's, Suzuki's, BMW's Honda's, I've had some sort of problem with each of them in 25 years of riding, their machines, they break. I'd still buy anyone of the above brands, JMHO.
motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:50 AM   #24
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

You must be joking, Buell's had more recalls than just about any motorcycle company, do some research. Harley-Davidson has had several recall's dealing with "soft cams, electrical system problems, etc. If your getting 175rwhp out of a sportster, that think must be "totally unreliable" in real world usage!!

The H-D motor's I've seen over the years that "stay together" are the smart folks that keep the "motor" stock and only upgrade to a "Screaming Eagle intake kit and SC slip-on exhausts for better breathing. My friends who have "upgraded" their H-D motors, have had to "rework" the motors several times and lost all reliability! Get real.
motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:50 AM   #25
hamatsu
Founding Member

I think that you took that last paragraph as not being the joke that it was intended to be. BTW, I checked your page. That GS brings back some sweet memories. I had an 80' GS750E in that same color except the pinstripes were orange and red. I put Dunstall rearsets, laminar nose fairing, Yosh pipe, 1100 cams and superbike bend bars on it. Man, I still miss that bike. I had to sell it to pay for a moment of ignorance that had to do with the Texas DPS and seeing just how fast one of their new Mustangs would really go. Ya' know some things in youth ya' don't miss too much when you get older.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 03:20 AM   #26
Chester
Founding Member

I was joking, you probably wouldnt get 175rwhp out of a nitromethane burning 883, but maybe. And it wouldnt be from the factory. Harleys have their place, and thats in the garage getting repaired, we all know that.