Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 10-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #31
Robbed
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda shows automatic 700 Sports motorcycle.

The one thing most of you are missing is how these already exist on quads. Kawasaki started it with their V-force a couple of years ago. The most amusing statistic I heard went something like this, but not these exact numbers.

Riders testing the V-force filled a questionaire before and after riding the V-Force. Before riding, 80% indicated they would not be interested in having an automatic transmission on a quad (CVT). After riding, 95% were interested in having the CVT.

Speaks volumes doesn't it?? Talking to those who have ridden the big (yes it is a bit heavy, but not sure that is related to the CVT) V-Force, everyone states you are never out of the powerband. The CVT seemed to have the proper gearing irrespective of the track conditions or the speed. I did not ask about the free wheeling issue, but most sportbikes are trying to eliminate most of the engine braking anyway. That would take some adjustment to your riding habits, but it would probably benefit most riders anyway.
Robbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 PM   #32
pplassm
Founding Member

I used to have a bike with a CVT. It was called a Rokon. 10 points to those of you who know what that was (not the 2 wheel drive kind). I had a MKII with laid down shocks.

It went up hills great, but you couldn't cross a stream without having to change the belt. Bummer.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #33
scottw
Founding Member

That thing looks like it's got a lot of "spunk"
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:24 PM   #34
sliphorn
Registered Member

Default Re: What I would pay big $$ for . . .

Yeah, the Stella which is a Vespa PX150E made in the old Piaggio plant in India, is a twist shifter. Clutch and shift with a simultaneous pull and twist. Love it, works great and easy to use except when the front wheel is in the air.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #35
scottw
Founding Member

By the time it doesn't work, they probably won't be servicing them anyway. My local Honda/Suzuki shop won't touch anything more than a few years old. The only place around here I can get my 93 VFR and 83 GS750ES worked on (other than by myself) is the hi-perf shop 30 miles away. They do nice work, but it's tough to get in and spendy, too.
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #36
sliphorn
Registered Member

One of the things I like most about my friends Burgman 650 is the fact that the CVT seems to always be in the power band. The first time I rode it I was amazed at how well it performs. The power hooks up real quick and just keeps coming. There just might be one in my future.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #37
desertbilly
Founding Member

I like it. At first I thought it was a modern, mid-sized sportbike, with very little legroom. But then I realized it had forward floorboards, which coupled with that comfy looking seat and wide bars gives it a cruiser ergonomic. But with a cool, sportbike look. I don't consider it a scoot because it's not a step-thru design.

Yeah, the automatic thing is a little lame, but I'm willing to give Honda the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it will have a good feel, and the manumatic shifting thing will work out.

If they hit the nail on the head with the vehicle dynamics, I'd be willing to give it a try. Sportbike styling and dynamics with cruiser ergos in a cutting-edge package doesn't sound so bad to me.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 AM   #38
teapotdome
Registered Member

Great.

A Honda version of the late, lamented VX800 (which didn't sell) with an automatic transmission (which, if Honda would check their own sales sheets from 1977-78, also didn't sell).

It appears as though the Japanese manufacturers have officially entered an era of 1950's Detroit-like arrogance in their product planning -- if we build it, of course they'll buy it.

I think we're witnessing the apogee of Japanese influence in the market. With this kind of "customer focus," they've got nowhere to go but down. There are any number of cool bikes waiting to be built -- sport singles, longitudinally-mounted fours, parallel-twin dirt bikes -- but the Big Four don't seem to listen, or even get it.

It'll probably be great for the Japanese domestic market, but if Orange County Choppers can't customize it, it won't sell here.
teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 AM   #39
caderider
Registered Member

Subaru Justy CVT? lol
Old 10-21-2005, 03:14 AM   #40
mhertz17
Registered Member

My regular "ride" is an Aprilia Tuono but I have had surgery on my hands which makes riding it difficult, especially operating the clutch. I purchased an Aprilia Scarabeo 150 scooter to ride while waiting for the hands to heal. It is great around town and actually fun to ride. I can see a market for Hondas CVT for people who want to stay on bikes but, due to some disability, have trouble with shifting.

Remember, it is better to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. And a scooter is better than not riding at all.
mhertz17 is offline   Reply With Quote