Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-01-2001, 02:20 PM   #1
JasonVS
Founding Member

Default Re: Details on Honda

Now if only they can put it into a street thumper it would be a hoot.

First comment!
JasonVS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2001, 02:21 PM   #2
pistonbroke
Founding Member

tIME TO FINALLY DITCH THE XR600!
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 02:49 PM   #3
fasthrc
Founding Member

That's what the XR650R was supposed to do.

Too bad they couldn't have put just half an RC51 motor under the tank...could of had close to 60 hp stock...which brings up the question on how much this Does make.
fasthrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 08:32 PM   #4
Shaft
Founding Member

Thanks, Mr. Yamaha.
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 01:02 AM   #5
fockface69
Founding Member

Hey, you're a little snippety. Got an XR in the garage with $1500 worth of engine work ahead of it? Don't worry about it. Just put a For Sale sign on it. There's a Honda buyer born every minute.
fockface69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 03:32 AM   #6
Hamrhd
Founding Member

Your an ass !
Hamrhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 03:43 AM   #7
Hamrhd
Founding Member

Leave it to Honda to short cut the performance envelope ! Rocker arms? Come on, thats going backwards in development. Long stroke engine, take a chance and let the dam bike rip instead of just keeping up with the pack. Like the 929 (I owned one) it could have been more in the engine department, but Mr. greenpeace Honda was afraid of hurting someones feelings in the community that they were building death machines and they just can't have that ! Pussies !! Yamaha has the right idea when it comes to performance, Let em rip!!, and I've owned Hondas more than any other brand, so this is not a one sided view. Look at the fourstroke shoot outs and the YZ426 is trashing the other BIGGER engined thumpers because it rips and has QUALITY suspension ! So, Honda take off the dam gloves and give us a rip snortin,gound shakin bike for once !
Hamrhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 05:36 AM   #8
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

It's not a question anymore "if" they are going to do this. Honda decided to drop 2 strokes altogether, so a MX thumper is going to be necessary.

Personally, the type of bike I'd most like to see would be a RSF450R road racer . . . A friend of mine has a very-built XR600 motor in an old TZ250 frame, and if the quality of that bike could be raised to production standards, it would rule! I doubt that Honda will send something like that to the land of "bigger-is-better", though . . .
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 05:41 AM   #9
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

So what? Or do you just enjoy overstating the obvious?

4 strokes can be fun, and plenty capable, so if they think that is what people want to buy, that's sure as hell what they are going to build.
Old 02-02-2001, 05:50 AM   #10
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

I have also owned more Honda's than any other brand, and have been generally happy with them. HOWEVER, they are always so damn PC that I'm just about sick of it! Honda: Stop selling underpowered engines! Just look at the long line of under-powered, but otherwise highly competent, "unoffensive" bikes:

HawkGT CBR929

CB-1 CBR900 after '94

CB1000 VFR750

VTR1000 and more . . .

The last three bikes I've bought have been Suzuki's, and that's not going to change unless Honda sends something a little more exciting . . .