Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-02-2001, 05:00 AM   #11
Iman01
Founding Member

Default You funny guy

I love it.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2001, 05:28 AM   #12
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Details on Honda

OK, time to help those engineering-challenged posters out there:

1) The bore/stroke ratio for the Honda is 1.546 and the Yamaha is 1.581, making the Honda, a difference of 0.035 or 2.2 percent less oversquare than the Yamaha. Hardly a long-stroke motor.

2) Rocker arms. You see, El Doorknob, weight is a huge issue with dirt bikes. Honda agreed with KTM, Husaberg and Vertemati that the extra cam and its attendant weight and volume were not necessary. Honda did them all one better by directly actuating the intake valves (allowing steeper cam profiles) and using short rockers (similar to Mercedes' Indy500 winning motor of six years ago) to actuate the exhaust valves. This results in a lighter, engine which will be smaller at the top front of the head, allowing for more ideal engine placement.

Why is this important? Well my technically challenged friends, what has the Yamathumper been criticized about? Two things: weight (it's the heaviest mega thumper out there - KTM's electric start 520 is lighter) and slow low speed handling caused by it's largest in class wheelbase and seat height. Honda deals with both of those problems with typical elegance.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 05:55 AM   #13
Fazermanny
Founding Member

All you've written is true BUT SOHC with rockers will never hold valve clearance as acurately or for as long as direct camshaft to valve actuation. In other words the Honda will require more frequent adjustment and replacement of valve train gear. Yahama always makes uncompromisingly reliable motors thant don't ever require much maintenance, even if they have to get more complicated to do it (ie: 5 valves,DOHC)

Manny
Fazermanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 08:08 AM   #14
Supergome
Founding Member

Default Re: The Honda Way!!!!!

Have you ever driven, read about, or even seen a car with a VTEC engine?

The S2000 has the fastest piston speed of any production car in the world, and produces 110 hp per liter. You can argue that it's not meeting its potential, but you can count the number of normally aspirated cars that produce more power per displacement on the fingers of one hand with room left over.

By the way, Honda does not claim to have no warranty claims on their VTEC engines. They say they have never seen a VTEC system failure or the failure of another engine system caused by the VTEC system. BIG difference.
Supergome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 09:22 AM   #15
john
Founding Member

oh yeah, and valvesprings are real high tech. the only way to really advance valvetrain systems right now is by hydraulic or electrical actuation. Rocker arms are perfectly suitable for the application.
Old 02-02-2001, 09:24 AM   #16
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Who

oh well, at least you aint a CE, we all know they die the fastest, sniffing glue all day in a lab........

Old 02-02-2001, 03:49 PM   #17
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default $$$$BINGO$$$$

you hit the nail right on the head my friend. these four stroke pigs trying to compete with the 2strokes make me sick. actually, their designers and the people who love them make me sick. not only do they sound worse than any briggs and stratton mini-bike i ever owned, but they remind me every time i look at them just how far the EPA has gone to take away my freedom. they're an EPA tool, and when the EPA feels like it, they'll get rid of them too
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:10 PM   #18
DrillAlaskaDeep
Founding Member

The last Honda thumper I owned had a problem with rocker pads pitting/disintegrating. I dunno if that is better or worse than the cam pitting I had on a Honda twin and a Honda four. But I think I've had my last Honda. Nice paint. Nice plastic. Crappy metal underneath where it counts. I think it must be a Honda tradition that they are too proud to change. They hate copying other manufacturers--others create solid engines, Honda will have none of that. And I knew this guy that loved his XR600, heaped praise on it for its reliability. Then when he had it at his dealer, the dealer informed it needed $1800 of engine work. Boy, he was surprised.
DrillAlaskaDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 11:11 AM   #19
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: $$$$BINGO$$$$

If you like 2-strokes, it's your right and opinion. You can be vomiting from 4-strokes, it's your own problem. But I don't like 2-stroke-smokers, they eat more than twice a fuel of the same-capacity 4-stroke and more of double-capacity 4-stroke, they produce less than twice a power of 4-stroke, they don't have engine breaking which counts a lot on the road, they don't have linear power delivery, they break down a lot and take a lot of care to keep intact (take RGV250 for instance), they pollute, and they are hard to ride for novices. And as I see, 4-strokes are very competitive even as dirtbikes, not mentioning that they drove 2-strokes off the street. So hate 4-strokes as much as you like, don't dislike me for riding one..
Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 07:26 PM   #20
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Don't get close to any bike from now on - everything's screwed (all of them are going in that direction, unless someone will invent better behaving motor in all areas than a 4-stroke).

Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote