Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #31
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: Add two more wheels and you will have.......

Unfortunately, only minor styling tweaks, altered windshield and revised VTEC cut in are about the only changes.

Poor effort Honda.

Why wouldnt you buy a Sprint, especially with the extra torque over the weakish VFR (and yes I owned an 800 for a year - my SV650 outgrunts it when solo).?

In Australia, the Triumph is 10% cheaper to buy as well, and still cheaper when you add ABS than a standard VFR800.......
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #32
Pinkslip
Founding Member

Honda has been working on this airbag system forever. I guess they finally got it to help, not hurt. Personally, I'd have way more fun in an S2000 than the "Pig with Wings."

Boring lineup? Yeah. Everyone expected a facelift on the 1000rr, but the one major complaint/issue about that bike-- its weight-- was addressed as follows on their site:

dry weight: TBD.

How has this yet to be determined?! If that bike didn't lose at least 25lbs, it isn't going to offer much for 06.

The VFR is very ugly sore on Honda's reliable reputation, IMO. I'm guessing that because journo's aren't *****ing the way owners are-- and because there isn't a lot of competition on the same page as the VFR in many other respects-- Honda isn't eager to put more money into significant changes.

I've always been a Honda fan. So, to say I would consider a Kawi over a Honda both surprises me and disapoints me.

Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #33
stormcloud
Founding Member

MCN are on their own then.

I've got several Brit magazines that rate the Sprint above the VFR. Main reasons? The motor being relatively weak low down and the silly, innefectual VTEC (I've owned an 800 and ridden a mates VTEC extensively at the same time - couldnt see any benefit motor wise - but the chassis was nicer)
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #34
nweaver
Founding Member

Even in the US, the triumph costs ~ the same as the VFR. So why should I get the Honda?
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #35
desertbilly
Founding Member

I've got an 05 Wing, and boy is this airbag thing causing weeping and gnashing of teeth over on the Wing sites. I don't know why people get so emotional over this stuff.

But I also don't know why people feel so threatened by a Wing. Is it big? Uh, yeah. Is it supposed to be big? Uh, yeah. Does it feel like half a Civic (and cost as much as a whole one)? Uh, yeah. It's a touring bike. Comfort and size aren't bad on a touring bike. They're good things.

We could tour on an SV, as some do, but why do people get upset if some people want to tour on a touring bike? Two and three thousand mile trips are trivial on these bikes. You don't need any preparation -- just a few days clothes and tell people you'll be gone. And go. No drama. No pain. No special arrangements. We think that's a good thing.

Touring riders don't feel threatened when the latest supersport is two pounds lighter and two horsepower stronger. They don't write posts about OH MY GOD WHY DON'T YOU PUT A ROCKET ENGINE ON A ROLLER SKATE UP YOUR ASS. If sportbike riders want bikes with more power and less weight, then more power (and less weight) to them!

Supersports are designed for a particular kind of riding, but not all kinds of riding. Same as the other classes of bikes. Who cares? Not calmer, more mature, touring riders.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #36
johnnyb
Founding Member

***** man you seem far too rational to be on this site. what gives?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #37
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Come on now

Yes, but now you can have the previously overpriced 599 at the new outrageously overpriced price.

Get that?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Hey

Yeah well every once in a while a cocaine shipment does come loose and splatter the countryside. How long did you stop to enjoy the "snow"?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #39
nesbit
Founding Member

Seruzawa's above comments are incisive! But, whether it becomes a mandate or not, two things are pre-ordained. One, insurance companies will penacize you with higher premiums if you don't have it, and Honda will penacize you big time at purchase when you buy it. And of course, you'll really be penacized when you hit any jarring road irregularity at speed and it inflates in your face. In that event, don't look to Honda or your insurer for any additional penacization, because you'll be dead!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #40
FrankS1
Founding Member

Default Re: Huge tourers

Besides the Wing, there are also Polaris, H-D and others who compete - more or less - in that realm. And BMW competes harder.

Yes, Honda sells more Wings than some of the other brands. But, I notice that every month except August, there are more BMW bikes out on these mountain roads than Goldwings. Which leads me to suspect that the typical Wing is taken out one week a year. Good for longevity, anyhow.

(I grant that those living below 8000 feet elevation might perceive things differently - though if they sat and watched US 24 or US 285 traffic they'd get the same counts that I do.)
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote