Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-29-2001, 08:34 AM   #1
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor!

Seth -

We were supposed to go to the drag strip last week, except there was this thing called "snow."

Be patient my son.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2001, 08:42 AM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!
Old 01-29-2001, 09:31 AM   #3
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

After Honda's expensive and well publicised failure with the oval piston NR of the eighties, it is not surprising to see HRC come after the new GP rules with a vengeance. It is no secret that Soichiro Honda didn't like 2 strokes.

Given F1-class technology, these power numbers are acheivable. Bear in mind, however, F1-class financials. Such an effort would likely cost around $25-50 million per year for engines alone.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 09:48 AM   #4
El_Flaco
Founding Member

The valvetrain looks like it is still mechanically actuated (no hydraulic, electical or pneumatic systems... yet). The two small humps on the left side (as you look at the picture) of each valve cover looks like conventional (most likely) gear-actuated camshafts, a lot like the RC-51. However, it is possible, as another article pointed out, that due to the bulk of the cylinder head, that the V-TEC system may have been engineered into it. Something tricky is going on in there, that is for sure, but what? It looks a lot like a Honda CART or F-1 engine, so it's certain that they have drawn off of that knowledge building this engine. And if, that's a big if, the rumors are true about a CBR powered by a version of this engine, that could spawn a whole new breed of GP-rep streetbikes. A V-5 CBR-820RR anyone? Very cool.

Enter the dominance of the 4 stroke into GP's again!
Old 01-29-2001, 10:00 AM   #5
pushkin_9
Founding Member

Hey guys at MCN (motorcyclenews..the brit site), they mentioned

that the rear 2 pistons might be of a diffent bore and stroke than

the front 3. What would be the advantage of this? What could they

gain in performance from doing this? I WANNA V-5 SPORTBIKE WAAAAH!!!

How come just when I get settled on what bike I want...they throw up

some new stuff and I get all muddled again.

WHERE"S THE ZR-7/SV650/MONSTER SHOOTOUT?!?!?!? I Can't wait any longer!

killyourcar,

Push
pushkin_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 10:37 AM   #6
tz250-geo
Founding Member

Is that an oil filter at the bottom left of engine? Do 4 strokes absolutely need oil filters? I would think with a dry clutch the oil should stay fairly clean. Anybody have some insight into this.

Regards,

Geo
tz250-geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 10:37 AM   #7
MoMo
Founding Member

the SV will win anyway, you don't need a shoutout to know this.
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 10:54 AM   #8
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Ummmm, yes it is a filter. It's there to make sure any little metal shavings left over from production and/or break-in don't get circulated around the engine. So, while it'll run without one, it's cheap insurance. Smokers don't need 'em because they don't pump lubricant through the engine, it's suspended in the fuel.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 10:57 AM   #9
Iman01
Founding Member

If you keep the dirt from getting in oil filters aren't needed. But since you still need air to run an engine you will still get dust.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 11:04 AM   #10
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Actually, here's a funny thing. I remember an article in one of the M/c mags some months ago where a company around N'Awlins' (New Orleans to the rest of us) put a small turbine (jet) engine in a frame they designed, and were selling them. This engine put out well over 200 hp, and over 300 ft-lbs. of torque. The tires actually lasted much better than expected because of the seamless (no power stroke) power delivery of the turbine. The found the power stroke of a piston engine torques the outside of the tire relative to the rim with every power stroke (acting like a torsional dampner), then twists back. This heats up the sidewalls and tread. The torque from the turbine is much greater, but constant. So, it seems like tire life willll depend on what the firing order is to an extent. We'll see. I think Honda will find, as with the NR500, that it's the PACKAGE that wins the races.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote