Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-30-2001, 07:10 AM   #61
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor!

Sorry to parrot El_Flacko

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2001, 07:45 AM   #62
Claude
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhhhh...

I thought that the rule change was so GP racing can and will come to North America.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:24 AM   #63
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

At least he knows to capitalize the first word in a sentence. What a lamer...
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:31 AM   #64
Azrifel
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda = Volvo

Why do you think that Kawasaki doesn't build a new ZX-7R for WSB? For the same reason Yamaha quit WSB and ended the R7 project.

Why didn't Aprilia come with an all new Mille and have they quit their 500cc 2S V-twin? Because they are spending that cash on a 4-stroke GP-racer. GP's are the base for Aprilia's succes. Italians swear by GP racing.

Ever wondered why Cagiva still isn't racing after they quit 500cc GP's, you know the history of MV Augusta? Its very likely they will put MV Augusta back in GP's.

And in Europe (except the UK) we like GP's more then we like Superbikes.

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:42 AM   #65
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

I totally agree that rider ability will catch up with engine output. I saw this show once where this 10 year old kid was piloting this thingy that ran on twin jet engines and was held together by an energy coupler... Anyway, it went really, really fast, and this mere child could totally controll it. I wouldn't worry about waiting for this kind of technology though, it happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Seriously though, I don't think we're too far from machines that are completely beyond the abilities of normal human beings. We're probably there already with a lot of our machines. Oh, and my midi-chlorian count is higher than yours.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:48 AM   #66
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

I think the only "variable displacement" that engine is likely to have is when a rod pokes through the block! Different bores and strokes for some cylinders, maybe. As stated by another, an easier/cheaper/better/more reliable/safer solution would be to use the engine management system to lower/raise power (like on turbocharged rally cars), and traction control. Cylinders switching on and off would be too abrupt, for both the tires and the rider. I think, in the absence of more 2-stroke restrictions, the smokers will prove to be a faster package.

P.S. Are you sure it was SPECulation in the shower, or, .....nevermind.....
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:54 AM   #67
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: Four strokes=GOOD

For pure racebikes, emissions aren't a problem, and fuel economy really isn't either. When they get the bugs ironed out of direct injection (Orbital is close), they can be even CLEANER and more efficient than 4-strokes. BTW, you can use poppet valves instead of piston-ports and reeds/disks for 2-strokes, and pumped lubrication instead of premix. 1 powerstroke per revolution beats 1 powerstroke every @ revolutions any day. Should be interesting though....
Old 01-30-2001, 09:13 AM   #68
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

It's not just that, but also that 4-strokes oil is re-used constantly, untill the next oil change, whereas the 2-strokes oil doesn't pass through cast-in oil passageways (potentially containing manufacturing/assembly debris), lubricates only once, then is blown out or burned.
Old 01-30-2001, 09:43 AM   #69
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default What Happens When 4strokes Lose in Grand Prix

Anyone who thinks the 4strokes are gonna start winning or dominating right away is either ignorant or stupid. but what's gonna happen(and this is a very real possibility) if the 2strokes completely shut out the 4strokes? do we make the 2strokes illegal and settle for less performing 4strokes? or do we humbly admit that, EPA not withstanding, 2strokes are the superior motor and allow them to rightfully dominate our sport?
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 10:34 AM   #70
bobdog
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda = Volvo

Yeah, I hate watching Honda win all the time, just because they put more money into it than anyone else. No, I don't own a Yamaha, I ride a BMW GS-1150. Yeah, I'd like to hear a V-5 scream past. But I still think the cost of this kind of R&D is going to bust all the other companies. At least with the two strokes, it's a relatively level playing field. Honda's success in GP was due mostly to Doohan, it was so standing, he could probably come back injuries and all and kick everyone's ass tomorrow.
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote