Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-30-2001, 06:41 AM   #51
tz250-geo
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor!

Two strokes use air. No oil filters there - Oil screen. I agree if you run in an extremely dirty surroundings (off-road) it would make sense to put oil filter in - hence the KTM comment. But for prototype production machine...

Obviously the reason is good enough because Honda did put one in. I just wanted to hear some comments on the issue.

Geo
tz250-geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2001, 07:21 AM   #52
moose
Founding Member

you just keep making a bigger ass of yourself.
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 07:26 AM   #53
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Draining never completely gets everything, and the added benefit of having a filter is if you frag something, or a little piece of debris (machining burr) comes loose, it'll stop in the filter before doing damage elsewhere past the filter. All 4-strokes I know of, racing or otherwise, use filters.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 07:35 AM   #54
tz250-geo
Founding Member

Fair enough. There are so many bearing surfaces in a 4 stroke that a little bit of dirt can probably do a whole lot more damage that on a 2 stroke.
Old 01-30-2001, 07:36 AM   #55
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

1. Who cares if he subscribes to AOL? You? Like I don't care that you subscribe to Rump Rangers Quarterly.

2. It's a TYPO!

3. What kind of EPA-lovin', tree-huggin' E.L.F. homo are you? Ozone Al Gore, 'Zat you? This site is for gearheads, who, by the way, love the sound of IC engines. Also, this is meant to be a closed-course racing bike anyway. Duh! Electric bikes? Too funny. They would suck worse than the cars do.
Old 01-30-2001, 07:38 AM   #56
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Thanks for getting the stats for that moron, having worked with turbines, I found the article very interesting.
Old 01-30-2001, 07:39 AM   #57
MVW
Founding Member

Default Re: News Flash: AMA Unlimited USA-GP Series Announced

That was fuggin' hilarious! MO, I think Gade sould be your Sr. Ed.
MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 07:43 AM   #58
tz250-geo
Founding Member

You are referring to production machines, GP is one off machines with services every few hundred kilometers.

Some reasons to return to the dark ages: less oil required, smaller pump for given pressure.

As I noted before, Honda decided to go with the oil filter and I am sure they have very good reasons. I just made an observation to try an get a reasonbly intelligent reply. Perhaps somebody out there knows about a previous 4 stroke race bike that ran without an oil filter.

Geo
Old 01-30-2001, 07:52 AM   #59
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: And it's not ?

You might think the V-four was only in the "foo-foo" VFR800 but you obviously forgot something. The RC-45 was also a V-four. Ever heard of a guy named John Konsincski(sp), Aaron Slight, Colin Edwards or Carl Fogarty ? They all rode this V-four and John K won a WSB title on it. You are uninformed and anonymous. One thing you did get right was that Honda is a BIG corporation.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:09 AM   #60
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

What does the EPA have to do with Grand Prix racing? There are Zero (0) races run inside the EPAs jurisdiction.