Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-29-2001, 06:39 PM   #31
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor!

you never know. I know most sportbikers would like to live in denial, but Harley was the powerhouse in 250 cc GP racing in the 60's.

I think very soon that harley is going to have a fire lit under its feet to start winning races in big leagues. I even think harley will swallow some pride and get foreign engineers and subcontract parts from other manufacturers, with only chassis and motor having a harley badge.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2001, 06:44 PM   #32
Gabe
Registered Member

Default News Flash: AMA Unlimited USA-GP Series Announced

By Gabe Ets-Hokin

Pickerington, Ohio- AMA racing officials here today announced a new racing series designed to attract more Harley Davidson fans to GP racing.

Designated "Unlimited USGP", the series will allow any displacement engine, as long as it makes no more power than a stock wide-glide.

"We thought it'd be cool to have some racin' that the fuggin' Japs couldn't, like, win and stuff." said Clem Shepardson, interim director for H-D racing special projects while his brother Jeb is serving six months for parole violation. "Maybe our hogs ain't much in the turns, but maybe it's time racers found out about enjoyin' life, you know, kickin' back. It ain't all about speed, ya know. Anyway, I got the AMA to add the series when I threatened to sue them for using the word "motorcycle", which, apparently, our legal department owns."

When asked if this race series would be yet another example of how Harley Davidson uses it's power in the marketplace to monopolize racing with predictable, uninteresting dog and pony shows, Shepardson responded, "maybe you want your ass kicked, huh, ya little friggin' faggot?"

Already, racing teams have responded with exciting designs. Centerville Harley-Davidson is fielding an almost stock machine, save for the addition of bicycle cards in the spoked front wheels and the factory H-D race kit, which consists of number plates and carbon-fiber conchos. "We already got a guy to ride it. Ed from parts says he can make it for the second half of the first race, as long as we can trailer it the first half. He says motorcycles aggravate his shingles. Nobody else here really knows how to ride motorcycles, since we never have actually seen one on the sales floor, so Ed's our only hope, since Miguel Duhamel won't return our calls and Scott Russell said he could never get drunk enough to race a Harley again."

Racing fans are similarly thrilled. Mark Jones, of Spokane washington said he was "thrilled" at the prospect of a new series, untill he realized that it wasn't NASCAR.

"They race motorcycles? Isn't that dangerous? Why would anybody want to watch that?"

The AMA racing department was closed for Australia Day, and could not be reached for comment.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 07:47 PM   #33
bobdog
Founding Member

Default Honda = Volvo

Cripes, just when bikes were getting simple again, along comes this. 5 cylinders? Is this some kind of a joint venture with Volvo? It's the typical Honda effort, cold, calculated, sexless. Will it win? Sure, but it won't be fun watching.

Why not just outlaw two strokes and make WSB the grand prix class? It makes way more sense. Is anyone besides Yamaha working on a four-stroke design? So we'll have another series where it's all Honda, Honda, Honda, all the time.

This four-stroke grand prix thing is going to suck. I sure hope Haga wins the title before the switch occurs.
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:33 AM   #34
CBR750H
Founding Member

Default Re: It would be easier to...

Whats your point? You yourself say that the V4 is great in the VFR800 which is not a sports bike more a sports tourer. I do beleive the CBR600 and the Fireblade are in line 4's.
CBR750H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:30 AM   #35
suzukis-suck
Founding Member

"Honda continues world domination"

GP racing will interesting to watch. Finally! The competition should be great!

To the bozo above this post, Haga will not win because he can not cheat. Roberts, Biaggi, Rossi, and McCoy will wax him!
suzukis-suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:39 AM   #36
EXUP
Founding Member

A-men.......
EXUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:59 AM   #37
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Yamaha hasn't dominated anything GP since Rainey's days. What you described in your post sounds a lot like the average R-1 rider to me . . .
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 04:04 AM   #38
ivan_carumba
Founding Member

Default Re: News Flash: AMA Unlimited USA-GP Series Announced

WOOOOO LOL!!!!!

Very funny.
ivan_carumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 04:09 AM   #39
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default Re: It would be easier to...

Funny how when a manufacturer takes the easy route and builds a bunch of inline 4's that have no aspect of creativity to them (Kawi, Suzi) we label them as copycats, but when one of them pursues new ideas we accuse them of having ADD . . . I think it's the buying public that has ADD, how else can you explain the yearly crop of new and wonderful "radioactive bird crap" paint jobs on so many bikes. Personally, if it works, I'll ride it. Meanwhile, I applaud Honda for having the "cojones" to develop (and spend untold yen) on new ideas that may or may not work.
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 04:10 AM   #40
moose
Founding Member

mr. brain giant:

that 250 in the 60's you spoke of was an italian Aermachi (i'm sure i mispelled the name), w/ harley davidson logo on it. if harley makes 1340 cc motors that manage to push 60 hp, how many donkey-power do you think a harley 250cc would push? probably it could not turn the drum on a dyno.

wake up & smell the burning oil, bud.
moose is offline   Reply With Quote