Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-29-2001, 12:32 PM   #21
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor!

Sign me up.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2001, 12:34 PM   #22
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Ummm... Where is the oil filter on KTM's Racing Thumpers? (me thinks it just uses internal screens)
Old 01-29-2001, 12:42 PM   #23
mrgsxr
Founding Member

hahahahahaha that was to funny! I beat up on Harley's with my z28
mrgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 12:56 PM   #24
jeepers
Founding Member

looking at the distance from the valve cover to the pipe there must be something very interesting going on inside - pneumatics????
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 01:03 PM   #25
lexs
Founding Member

You seem to be hung up on displacement, that is not the only way to measure engines. How about HP/ per pound of fuel per hour? How about Brake Mean Exerted Pressure (BMEP)? The four stroke will win those categories most of the time.

This is engineering, not religion. Unless somebody can fix the noise and air pollution problems (many have tried, many have held news conferences, many have failed) the two stroke is going away. Get over it, worry about the important stuff.
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 01:08 PM   #26
lexs
Founding Member

I guess I am blind, the layout looks like a normal high performance 4-stroke to me. What are you talking about?
Old 01-29-2001, 01:23 PM   #27
lexs
Founding Member

Now that 500 GP racing is perfect I guess we should lock every thing up and never change, won't that be fun.

Don't you think that racing engines that have less and less to do with the real world will be as bad as anything Honda could do? Two strokes are going away everywhere but the third world. If the rules allow the biggest spender to dominate they will be changed. One way or an other they will be racing 4-strokes, get used to it.

Even if Honda out spends everybody it will take a few seasons to work out the new bikes. If Honda follows their regular pattern it will be fun to watch bikes with less HP beat them while they sort the chassies.

Whatever happens I doubt GP racing could be any more dull than it was while Dohan was totally dominant.
Old 01-29-2001, 04:27 PM   #28
Tristan7
Founding Member

Default Re: Four strokes=GOOD

No doubt a V-5 CBR would be neato, but I'd prefer a direct-injected 2-stroke sportbike. Ever ridden a modern MX bike? The 4-strokes may be winning MX races now, but 2-strokes are way more fun to ride! To me the V5 is just too complex for a streetbike.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 05:29 PM   #29
john
Founding Member

well, let me go look at the stats for the bike......

BTW, the company is Marine Turbine Technologies.

The bike:

460lbs

320 hp at 52, 000 rpm

425 ft lbs of torque at 2,000 rpm

top speed 250mph

Quarter mile in 9.8 seconds @ 160 mph

0-200 in 15 seconds

HEY IDIOT, why dont you read up before you say anything. Too bad its going over 160 when you say it should be doing 60!!!!!!!!!!!!

And concerning the Honda GP bike, i think the rules say that the motor cannot use existing street parts, and this, i think, is so that WSBK cant complain about competition. Also,, 230 is just the peak hp estimates, i SERIOUSLY DOUBT that they will tune it to that, it will probably be detuned to 190-200 hp for longevity and mileage purposes.

BTW, if the engine does use pneumatic or electric valves, then the computers can vary the valve movement and timing infinitely, possibly giving peak hp for the straights, and peak torque for drive out of the corners. In other words they may be able to make the bike a better all round package

Old 01-29-2001, 05:32 PM   #30
john
Founding Member

oh, the wheelbase is 71 inches, about 6 feet long, not 10.

just go to the webpage at www.marineturbine.com/y2kinnov.htm