Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/296-honda-reveals-four-stroke-gp-motor.html)

john 01-31-2001 08:03 AM

Re: Has anybody heard about the Kawasaki!

F1 cars are not all wheel drive. Only the backs spin. if you dont believe me then watch them try to get out of the grass sometime, backs spinning, fronts going nowhere. The Jaguar car, which is considered off the pace by many, is about 1300lbs, and has about 830 hp. OF course the tires are like 16 inches wide out back

john 01-31-2001 08:12 AM

Re: Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor!

"if harley makes 1340 cc motors that manage to push 60 hp, how many donkey-power do you think a harley 250cc would push? probably it could not turn the drum on a dyno. "

Ok, smart guy, if this isnt you making a direct comparison between race and street engines, i dont know what is. You are either really thick or really stupid to think your little comment has any real world value.

Harley could make an all titanium inline 4 next year that pushes 250 hp out of 1000cc's. THEY WONT!!!, but you would probably say that is their new cruiser motor.

Ass.

Azrifel 01-31-2001 08:18 AM

Re: hey eyego, why don

The F1 engine has to last for 300km+ and a motorcycle GP engine only 150km.

Or you can make it more powerfull wich causes more wear, or you use some cheaper materials and be satisfied with just 200 - 220bhp and throw both away afterwards.

And the GSX-R1000 and R1 engines need to last 100.000km.......

john 01-31-2001 08:24 AM

You are correct that Honda charges upwards up a mil for the NSR motor, but the buyer gets more than just a motor. They are also paying for factory support. Honda employees do the rebuilds and other critical maintenance.

Azrifel 01-31-2001 08:27 AM

Re: More info!

If they would be oval, it would need a twin-spark setup. Or it should be one oval piston with a twin-spark setup.

dirtybmxr 01-31-2001 09:08 AM

care to elaborate?

Hypnos 01-31-2001 10:13 AM

72 deg. makes sense if you are talking about the phase separations between cylinder firings in the time domain. The physical angular separation between the cylinder banks can be any damn angle that fits and works right.

Azrifel 01-31-2001 10:14 AM

Re: WHEEL SPIN - TRACTION CONTROLS HAVE BEEN...

Honda's main man is Valentino Rossi. Rossi doesn't rear wheel steer, he likes smooth lines and exact throttle respons. The 2001 NSR is developed to his likings and Honda will presumably develop the V5 and its frame to his likings. Actually it doesn't matter, because anyone who wants to slide around can shut the system down. Honda's talent Katoh isn't a rear wheel steerer either (he will enter GP500 next year).

Yamaha is in another situation with rws'ers like Haga, McCoy and Abe, and smooth liners like Jacque, Biaggi and Nakano

The tires will have plenty of heat, no problem there.

dirtybmxr 01-31-2001 11:11 AM

Re: I had one that leaked oil at less than 10K mi...

Well, since you fail to mention one actual brand that you claim has better overall quality, we'll just chalk this one up to another guy talking out of his can.

If you think Harleys (or whatever, I'm REALLY sure you're not talking about Triumph or Ducati) are higher quality than Hondas (generally), you may as well stand up and say so, and then back it up with something more substantial than telling us you're old. You have "28 years in the saddle"? So what? Any 50-year old has "30 years behind-the-wheel", but that doesn't necessarily mean he knows his lug nuts from his beer nuts.

I have been a daily driver since the eighties and my Hondas have never failed me. There is no disputing this, as opposed to some vague reference to a fantastical, five-brand, continental journey. If you have specific relevant experiences I'd love to hear about them, but until then, I stand by my statement that Hondas are put together very well, regardless of price.

As for the "planned obsolescence", that is a function of the sporting market. Technology is constantly being developed further, and therefore, by definition the market changes and obsolescence occurs. If your market is the cutting edge, there is no way around this. By comparison, a

cruiser will always be a cruiser, and bar tassel technology doesn't change.

RideFree 01-31-2001 01:58 PM

You say "Harley freak" like it's a bad.