Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-31-2001, 04:34 AM   #91
worn_patella
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Reveals Four-Stroke GP Motor!

BOOM !!! Motor racing with fireworks ... gladiators on moto ... sounds like a crowd pleaser.
worn_patella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2001, 05:18 AM   #92
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: What Happens When 4strokes Lose in Grand Prix

There are very few types of aircraft that uce a piston engine. Those that do use what appears to be a VW flat-4 engine. Sometimes Subaru engines are used. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer. It's a low-performance, low-compression, low-rpm, highly reliable 4-stroke, with redundant ignition, fuel, and oiling systems. 2-strokes are a little too unreliable for that kind of duty.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 05:47 AM   #93
bobdog
Founding Member

Sorry I misspelled your name, numbnuts.

So, you're a latent homo? I got no problem with that. But I'll pass on the fellatio. Say, while you're looking around for some guy to do you, do you mind if your girlfriend comes over to my house? As long as she doesnt' weigh more than me, I'm cool with it.

Haga will beat Roberts like a red-headed stepchild. The Suzuki, as your screen name indicates, is a piece of . The only reason Roberts won is because Doohan is out of it.
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 07:02 AM   #94
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Four strokes=GOOD

Yeah, in fact the technology flows the other way now. ABS and traction control both appeared on road vehicles before showing up in F1 cars (for a while, anyway)
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 07:18 AM   #95
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: What Happens When 4strokes Lose in Grand Prix

I think Lycoming is the name you're looking for. Very old design. The aircraft community is very conservative when it comes to safety and reliability. Decent prop-driven aircraft of a decent size are pretty much all gas turbines, which are more efficient, more powerful for thier size, and actually more reliable.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 07:43 AM   #96
anonymousoctopus
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhhhh...

You are right - the EPA has no direct influence on the racing series. The EPA does have a big influence on Honda's product line, however, which in turn might affect Honda's decisions on what they race. You can bet Honda will use this 4-stroke "clean" powerplant in TV ads to portray the image of being technologically advanced while being environmentally responsible at the same time. They make points with the greenies that way, who go out and buy more Civics and Accordians.

Even if the GP circuit comes to the US, the EPA is still out of the picture. There are a lot of 2-stroke on and off-road bikes being raced over here all the time.
anonymousoctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 07:50 AM   #97
anonymousoctopus
Founding Member

A pneumatic valvetrain uses air to assist the valvesprings and allow higher RPM operation without valve float - it still has cams, valves, light valve springs & buckets. Along with solenoids, control electronics, plumbing, and a small air supply. I don't think you can eliminate a pneumatic valvetrain based on that picture. Can anyone say 17,000+ RPM? Can't wait to hear this thing.
Old 01-31-2001, 07:53 AM   #98
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Four strokes=GOOD

F1 pioneered modern automotive aerodynamics, look at the huge differences between cars from the 50s, 60s, and 70s in F1. This is where they really cracked the code of undercar aerodynamics. Also, things like the titanium springs on the YZ250, USD forks, innovative rear shock linkages, and big ass swingarms are a direct result of racing technology put to the street. Where do you think bikes would be today if racing wasnt so popular?
Old 01-31-2001, 07:58 AM   #99
john
Founding Member

I saw the exact same show on speedvision, but on my TV, the radar gun stopped working when the bike went over 200. Also, if you saw the whole show, you would see that the bike was made, in large part, just to beat the McLaren F1's top speed of 222 or so. What show were you watching?????

Not the one on that bike.

BTW, i only wish i could work for a company that makes things like that bike.
Old 01-31-2001, 08:01 AM   #100
anonymousoctopus
Founding Member

Actually, Harley's engineers are plenty sharp. I've worked with them enough to find out that it is the marketing department that drives EVERYTHING. When engineering comes up with design improvements, all that matters is what will it look like and sound like, so anything that makes the engine run smoother/better is basically rejected.

To H-D, image is everything. But I wouldn't criticize their engineering staff.