Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   Honda Hawk? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/2890-honda-hawk.html)

christian_gates 06-29-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Honda Hawk?

I think that Mr. Allcaps needs to weigh in here.

cdg

akcarlson 06-29-2005 11:59 AM

Hawk like? Hmm.

Your 599 has the same front suspension components as the Hawk's. The claimed dry weight of the 599 is 401 lbs. versus the Hawks claimed 399.1 lbs. Better-than-average braking with a Hawk is a set of pads and braided lines away, and it's a two-fingered affair as stock. I have ridden my Hawk year 'round one year here in St. Louis and four years in Chicago every day (barring ice) and never have had any cold starting issues that a little choke didn't cure. Aside from routine maintenance, I've never had to do any work on my Hawk that wasn't voluntary.

No disrespect intended, but maybe your 'Hawk-like' Honda wasn't exactly.

maladg 06-29-2005 12:15 PM

Hawks are very neat...very. But if you are big, tall or big and tall they are small....real small.

Try for size before you buy. And the newest one available is what-14 or 15 yrs old now? Not a problem in my book, but issues always come with age.

akcarlson 06-29-2005 12:18 PM

I'm 6'2" - not huge, granted - and while I don't especially like freeway drones, my Hawk is all-day comfortable. Small bikes are where it's at.

mscuddy 06-29-2005 12:57 PM

Re: Honda Hawk the new CB350?

Yikes!

Tigercub 06-29-2005 01:14 PM

Good choice. A friend of mine has one. He loves it. It's quick and has good parts and service support. It's small and pricey.

Go with the SV650...the next Hawk, but much more popular.

Fenton 06-29-2005 01:55 PM

Issues come with older bikes too.

Zakman 06-29-2005 02:04 PM

Re: Honda Hawk? SV650 is the real deal

I've ridden Hawks and they are a nice bike but the SV is just a lot better. More power, less vibration, lots of spare parts on e-bay. I have over 60,000 miles on my 2000 SV and bought a '99 SV with 45,000 on it. now it has 52,000 on it. I got it so I wouldn't be deprived of riding an SV while I am doing some major experimental work on my 2000. I have over 700,000 miles on bikes and this is the best most fun one you can get.

sconley 06-29-2005 03:20 PM

The hawk was my first bike... Bought it new in 1989 for 2995! Rode it and loved it for 8 years before "upgrading" to a Buell... Big mistake... Fun comes in small packages... Errr, no that's not right... Reliability comes in small packages? Hell, that ain't it either... but you get the point... The Hawk is a fun bike whether you are new to riding or not. The 52 degree twin has a unique sound that competes well with Ducati's note... I've owned several bikes now, ranging from R1's to several Ducati's... The only one I honestly would like back is the Hawk (I just keep buying new Ducati's). That being said, if you like the Hawk and can find one cheap, I wouldn't pass it up... BUT if you like the general style and cult status of the bike but not the 15 year old technology (though the Elf swingarm is still techno-cool even by today's standards), then look for a used Monster 620 or 750... They're cheap as hell for some reason (around $3k if yer semi-patient), have better brakes, more power and are arguably better looking. The Hawk is a rarer breed though and had Honda known that a cult following was only a few years away I think they would have made them longer than what they did... Good luck!

tsrzad 06-29-2005 04:01 PM

all the bikes mentioned are great for what they are, though the 599 too many cylinders for me...

When I was looking for a new scoot last year, I had wood for the old Hawk: well made, good looks, v-Twin...a bit pricey out here, though, thanks to being canonized. Unfortunately, though I'm 5-9, I found the Hawk a bit cramped; just a thought.

Have you thought about the MZ Skorpion Tour (naked)/Sport (clip-ons, fairing)? Also a rare, cult machine...I regularly get offers to buy '95 Sport, too.

On a weekend ride recently, a guy on an MV Agusta F4 gave me props; and presumably not due to my nailing every apex...

Light (370kg wet), simple, torquey as hell, and handles with the best. Plus, the Yamaha-sourced water-cooled, 5 valve 660cc thumper rocks! Make sure you budget for a lightweight pipe, though: uncork the THUMP and drop some tonnage.

Get the machine that feels best, looks cool, and has the maintenance records if buying used.