Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: Time for Auto Trans?

I think you'd be wanting the Rocket III. It makes 64 hp at idle. Just stuff it into 3rd and forget about the other gears. Problem solved.

Next case!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
mikenomad
Founding Member

ST buyers are sporting riders; I doubt that any would want an automatic transmission.

A more-likely venue for introducing an automatic would be the luxury tourers, but how many current scooter owners are potential Goldwing or K1200LT buyers?

Scooters appeal to people who don't like motorcycles, and motorcycles appeal to people who don't like automatic transmissions.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
dmpereira
Founding Member

Check out the Ridley http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/Dynamic/main.htm
dmpereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Boss Hoss makes bikes for those who find the complexity of left foot/left hand coordinated motor functions baffling. And they even have trikes for that moment when the whole "balance thing" becomes overwhelming.

Instead of pestering Honda for an image-killing bike, listen to your inner voice that wants to take ballet lessons against your Dad's wishes. He was so mean.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

I'd be happy enough if someone would come up with satisfactory drink holders.

They'd be cheaper than a slushbox, and would weigh less, although the cooler would make up for it.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
theDuke
Founding Member

There have been some automatic-tranny bikes on the market in the past but I don't think any of them were very successful.

I saw a segment on Speed about the Ridley. It's a 750cc Harley-esque bike with an automatic.

Guzzi made one called the Convert (convertible?) many years ago and Honda made automatics back in the day. Were there any others?
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Problem with auto trans

I recently road on a friends small dirt bike imported from China that has a centrifugal clutch which I assume would be a lot like riding a motorcycle with an auto transmission and noticed the following problem right off.

When doing a U-turn or going really slow I am used to feathering the clutch right on the edge of friction allowing me to go really slow but continue moving.

With the centrifugal clutch I had no real control at really slow speeds, either the power seemed to be on or off at 2 to 3 mph U-turn speed. Feathering the clutch with a manual trans bike allows me to have nice control even with my Gold Wing at these speeds. If my motorcycle had an automatic I'm sure it would be very hard to control at these speeds.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
xmike5
Founding Member

+1 to that. If you're not coordinated enought to deal with a clutch, you don't need to be on a big, hard to control bike. And don't tell me you want to relax and enjoy the ride instead of thinking about gears. You should get a little convertible car for yourself, ya wuss.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote